Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 51 – 20th June 2015 Saturday – HoiAn

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 22 June 2015 | Views [324]

Got up and went to put my shoes on for my walk and found they were still wet from yesterday when I cleaned them. Decided to climb back in bed as it is a little drizzly. Vang came over early and dropped off our present for the warm house tonight. She had bought us a set of noodle bowls. After breakfast Kevin went riding to An Hoi Island before he settled in to watching the footy on his iPad. I meanwhile wet to Phuong’s the tailor and after minor adjustments paid the remaining amount for my sun dresses and quickly made a getaway before Phuong could arrange dinner. I went to the mini mart that Monika suggested to get some baking soda to try and get the shower screen clean. I also stocked up on soap, washing powder and other necessary items. I picked Jean-Ann up at 1.30 for the lesson at An Bang. We got there early and got everything ready. We had my body parts boy and girl and wrote out the different body parts on the white board. For the first lesson we had 12 kids and the lesson went well. Jean-Ann did some drawings of Princesses and Princes and the kids were mesmerised just watching her. Everyone wanted their own personal picture. After a while we strolled down to the beaching sat on a lounge chair just taking in the cooler conditions and watch some tourist yahoos who swam out to a fishing boat and climbed aboard. How disrespectful. In the second lesson we had 26 students and this lesson went just as well as the first. We had some interesting drawings that the kids handed in with their body parts labelled. We were unable to stay too long as Kevin and I had Dong’s warm house to attend. I dropped Jean-Ann back at her place and she surprised me by asking what time was Sunday's lesson as she wanted to come to this one as well. We were lucky that Hein and Vy both were there for today's lesson to interpret for us. Kevin had tried to find the school / café but obviously his sense of direction is not working as he couldn't find us so he decided to ride to Marble Mountain 34km return trip. He was feeling surprising well after and was not sore in the legs at all. The trip took just under 2 hours. We quickly got ready for Dong's warm house party and arrived around 6pm. The house is not quite finished and is still waiting for the electrician and then his father to complete the carpentry work. Dong had st up 2 round tables with food. Each table seated 10 people ranging from his 83 yo grandmother and grandfather to his in laws, uncles and aunts. His grandmother still goes to work every day at the market selling vegetables. We sat at the elder table and fortunately an uncle spoke a little English. We did plenty of mot, hai, bah, yoh. They kept the Larue beer coming all night. The relatives at our table found our difficulty with chop sticks funny and were always laughing at us. We had a lot of fun. Dong's Aunty from the country wanted photos taken with Kevin and I. It was as if she hadn't seen a westerner. Dong's sister in law Van who works as an Accountant for a charity in Danang spoke good English and she took a fancy to Kevin. As the elders kept leaving I said to Kevin it was time to leave. It was 7.30pm. We said our goodbyes and I dropped Kevin at the Kem for ice cream. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.