Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 46 – 15th June 2015 Monday –HoiAn

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 16 June 2015 | Views [343]

We were up and had a shake for breakfast ready for our next bike ride with Monika and Jean-Ann. We met them at 7am in front of Betel. We headed down Cam Thanh along the River, over Red Bridge and then to the ferry across to Duy Hai and the fishing villages. We went under the new bridge which is going to mean the local ferries will be closed which is disappointing as they are a unique way of travelling. We don't believe the old ladies in the villages will be able to ride on the bridge as it will be too steep. We cycled around and stopped and Moma and Popa Phuong’s (parents of Phuong who owns the Homestay where Monika and Jean-Ann live) for a cold drink and then on to the fish sauce making factory. We just wondered in and Monika explained the process to us. Was fascinating. We saw the boats unloading their catch of the day and it included squid and small pilchard like fish which they lay out on trays in the sun to dry. Not sure what they do with it then. We caught another ferry back to the Lighthouse at Cua Dai and the driver tried to extort an extra VND $3k each from us. It's not much money but on principal we refused to pay. He finally smiles and says ok. We rode through the village that Hien lives in and stopped in Cua Dai for a coffee break. After sitting and organising dinner for tomorrow night we rode back over the Cua Dai bridge and then turned right out among the fish farms and fields. We rode along narrow paths and ended up at a duck farm where we left Monika and Jean-Ann and we turned left and they turned right. We ended up near the local Bale Well Market. It was now 10.15 and we had enjoyed a morning exploring. Kevin decided to have a pancake for breakfast while I just got some fruit. We headed down to the beach after this and I had lunch there. I came back at 2.30pm for my lesson with Ms Le. Hai has gone to Dalat for a few days. We did lots of revision which was good. Duc came and took the scooter to have the oil changed and to give it a wash. I nearly didn't recognise it when he bought it back it was so clean. Kevin went to ride to Vangs for dinner and found that someone had stolen his light. Bastards! Must have happened while we were at Soul Kitchen. It was screwed on but someone has unscrewed and removed the light but left the bracket there. This now meant we both went on the scooter. Dinner was fresh noodle with BBQ pork and peanut sauce and salad. Was yummy, the flavours of the marinade on the pork was delicious. Duc was working so only Vang, Tri and Wing. Chatted with Vang about her job at Betel and whether she would ever seek an alternative job with someone else. She is very loyal to Ms Le and Mr Hat and will never leave their employ. Mr Hat helped design her house, he provided the finance and helped with government approvals. Kevin asked about land purchase near her and Vang says there is land for sale. She paid US$14k for her  land and US$10k for the building. Not sure how much she has borrowed.  On the way home I dropped Kevin at Kem so he could get his fix of ice cream. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.