Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 143 - 14th September 2014 Lucky Bay & 81cm Australian Salmon

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 18 September 2014 | Views [439]

Day 143 14th September 2014 Sunday. All packed up and left by 9.00am and headed to Cape Le Grand National Park. We drove past Stonehedge where Granite rocks are strategically placed on top of each other  to create unusual shapes and are in a circle. Didn’t go in as it cost $10 a head. Continued on to Lucky Bay and found sites on the middle bay. The drive down to Lucky Bay gave us our first glimpse of the wonderfully blue waters and pristine white beaches. It was breathtaking. Once again. Before lunch dad and I went down to the beach and threw a line in for an hour. Didn’t get a bite. After lunch we headed off to explore the coastline. We went first to Thistle Bay which had the Whispering Rock and then onto Hellfire Bay. At both the waters were multiple colours of blue and breathtaking. We decided to head back around 2.30 and dad and I got in the 4WD and drove around the bay to the second spot that Kelly, a local who has been coming and fishing at Luck Bay for  20 years told me about. We threw in and I had the thrill of landing a large Australian Salmon . It jumped out of the water three times before I managed to get it to the beach. It was 81cm and a beauty. Within 10 minutes dad had a big one that took a while to land. It was 73cm. I then had the thrill of another one on dads line as he was still busy with his. I wound it all the way to the beach and in the last 1m of water it broke the leader line and was gone. It was so disappointing as it was a large one as well. Dad had said before we left that he should change the leader to 50lb line but didn’t. Taught us a lesson.  We stayed for another hour or so and got more smaller fish. I even threw some back as they were only as big as the one I caught in Esperance. (Ha ha, spoiled or what) We took our fish back to the camp and everyone swarmed around to look at the big fish. We offered them to anyone and in particular a family with 5 kids (one with a disability) and they took the biggest. The other big one we took to the top bay and 3 groups were going to share. The other smaller ones went ot other campers. It had been a thrilling day as I had caught my biggest fish ever.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.