Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 115 - 17th August 2014 To Perenjori and Wreath Flowers

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 23 August 2014 | Views [579]

Day 115 17th August 2014 Sunday. Left early for drive to Perenjori. Mum and I decided not to stop overnight at Morawa but to go to Perenjori to see the Leschenaultia Wreath Flowers Marg had told us about. On the way we planned to detour onto a dirt road to see the wreath flowers that the visitor centre at Mullewa told us about. We left our van on the corner of Gutha East Rd and drove the 20km to Yalgoo Road where we saw our first wreath flowers.  Even Kevin got into the mood and was searching up the road for more. Was well worth the detour. Travelled back to our van and continued on to Morawa for morning tea and to visit the visitor centre for any information they had on wild flowers. They pointed out some roads with everlastings but we decided to continue to Perenjori and set up the vans. We have travelled through agricultural land that has crops planted, wheat, canola, lupins.  Arrived at lunch time and set up. We were both close to the amenities and on drive through sites. The office girl was very helpful and pointed out a few sites to visit. In avo mum, dad and I were off to find the display of wreath flowers on Perenjori – Rothsay Rd / Wanarra East Rd. We travelled 80km on this road which leads to Mt Gibson mine site. There were many coal trucks with 3 or 4 trailers travelling the road. We found the spot and parked along with about 10 other people who were in cars, caravans and so on. The flowers were amazing. There were thick masses of flowers and in some cases in full flower. Mum was in heaven, she said it was the best display of flowers she has ever seen and she just kept taking photos, as did I. Dad even got with it and took the camera from mum and started up the other side of the road clicking away. There was one guy who had the ladder off his van and was taking overhead shots. He even asked mum if she wanted to have a go up the ladder. Not likely she told him. After about an hour we left. On the way back we stopped at a paddock of white everlastings that stretched as far as  you could see. We then went to Mongers Lake Lookout  and onto Camel Soak. This is where the people building the No 2 Rabbit Proof Fence back in 1903-05 would water their camels as the unusual rock formations collected the water in pools. We were also looking for orchids that were supposed to be here but didn’t see any. Got back at 4.30 and Mum says this has been the best day of our holiday so far for her. Kevin had had a lazy avo. No football as unable to get TV reception so he was listening on the radio. He had gone for a walk and says 2 ladies tried to pick him up. They wanted him to take them and show them the wreath flowers we had seen in the morning. He decided it was too risky as they might kidnap him!!! Played cards.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.