Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 13 - 6th May 2014 Kata Tjuta

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [370] | Comments [2]

Day 13 – 6th May 2014 Tuesday. Domestic queen was at it again. Washed the floors as they were filthy. Today we are off to the Olga’s. Correction Kata Tjuta is the right name. We went in our car today and had to turn back twice as mum forgot her camera and then I asked did they have their passes for the National Park. So back again. Finally on our way and it is 50km.  Stopped at the Dune viewing site and had to walk a way but then the sun was in the wrong place and pictures very dark. Kevin and Dad stayed in the car as they didn’t want to waste energy. Headed to Valley of the Winds and we all set off. Kevin and I went ahead. Mum only got to the first hard hill climb and the going was too hard so she turned back. Dad had given up well before this. The walk is a Grade 4 rated walk and is 7.4 km which is expected to take 4 hours. The walk is very different to Uluru as it is challenging and over rough terrain. We went up, down, sideways and every way. You spent most of the time with your head down so as to not trip on the small boulders underfoot. The vegetation is also different today and a lot more trees, shrubs, riverbeds. The rock formation is also very different but is also spectacular. We were really happy to finish the walk and it took 2 hours. We gulped some water then headed to Walpa Gorge and did the 2.6 km walk there. Mum came too and surprisingly once we entered the shaded area it was much cooler and quite refreshing. Got back to van for a late lunch again. Kevin cleaned our shoes as they are covered in red dust. We hosted our first happy hour with Brian and Carol (from Melbourne), Emil and Heather (from rural NSW), mum and dad. Started around 4pm and at 6 pm we walked to the local lookout to view the sunset. Believe it or not it was 100% on the other night as the sky actually changed colour. Unfortunately I didn’t have my zoom lens so only an average picture. On talking with Emil, Kevin discovered that he didn’t actually reach the top of Uluru and that he had only gone half way to where the chains finished and that there was still a half hour of unchained area to cover. Kevin made the decision he will climb the rock again tomorrow. Happy hour continued until about 7.15 pm when we then got out the weber to cook loin lamb chops. Yummy.

Comments

1

Following yr travels very good, fuel expensive, but u got to have it! We r still in Tasmania having a great time saw a Tasmanian Devil today, very special! We have seen platypus in the lake in front of the house we r in. caught a trout also due back in Adelaide May 25 home for a week then off to Canberra then up the East Coast to Cairns.

  Alan Grainger May 7, 2014 9:45 PM

2

Thanks Alan. Sounds like Tassie suits you. A laid back lifestyle looking after chooks. Hope you both have a safe journey home and then up the East Coast. Cheers Kevin and Wendy

  wendyandkevin May 13, 2014 2:26 PM

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.