Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 30 - 13th July 2013 - HCMC to Home

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 17 July 2013 | Views [367]

Kevin complained that this was the worst nights sleep he has had the whole trip. It was noisy due to the night clubs and bars. He says he doesnt want to stay here ever again. He set off for his morning walk around Park 23/9 while I update the blog and other things. After breakie we headed off to do the last minute shopping. Firstly we changed some money at the gold merchant and then went into the Ben Thanh Market to get a couple of T Shirts and work shorts for Kevin. Bought some items at the fixed price stalls which is a pleasant experience as you are not hassled in any way and then we went to the other stalls. Well, what an experience. We selected 5 items and the girl started at 2.5M dong and I just about fell over as this was exorbitant. I offered 700,000 dong and stayed on this number. She kept coming down by 100-200,000 and I kept dsaying 700 and walking away. Finally she got a little closer at 1M and I said 800,000 last price. We finally settled on this but they were not happy. She kept telling me to slow down and relax. Well this is hard to do when they are ripping you off and it is so bloody hot in this confined space. Kevin was embarrased by my performance but I explained to him the price I offered was fair. From here Kevin decided to head back to the Hotel and I went off on my own tp Tax Department Store to buy the Vietnamese purses and then went to Saigon Square 1 where I was able to buy the same shorts Kevin bought earlier this morning for a fixed price of 100,000 which further confirmed I was right. To anyone going to HCMC look at shopping in Saigon Square 1 or 2 as they are both air conditioned and the prices are reasonable.  On the way back to the Hotel I again called in to buy another Recycled Bag for Yvonne, my assistant at work. I got back to the Hotel at 11.15 and we had to check out by 12 noon. Bags packed and we headed down to the foyer. Paid the bill and then decided to sit for a while as our transport wasn't until 2.00pm for our 4.40pm flight. Watched the comings and goings of other guests. Headed out to get a smoothie again from Five Boy Number One. We had them with 3 flavours this time and I also bought Ms Kim (receptionist) and the bell hop one. Left the Hotel at 2pm and got to the airport and checked in. Went through customs and then we still had plenty of time until the flight to KL left. Once we got to KL we found out the flight to Adelaide was delayed by 1 hour. Bugga. We boarded and then it was announced that there was a further delay of 45 min as they were waiting on a connecting flight from China. Bugga Bugga. Arrived home at 8.00am and went through immigration and customs (declared coffee, chili, and peanuts). Taxi home and then to the unpacking until next time. Bring on 2015.

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals

See all my tags 



Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.