Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 25 - 8th July 2013 - Hoi An

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 9 July 2013 | Views [638]

Kevin came on the walk with me this morning. We went along the river into Hoi An. Went through the market and down to the second bridge and back through the inner streets to the market again so that we could buy bread rolls and cucumber and tomato for lunch. We came back through the local Cam Chau village streets and I showed Kevin the roof tiler and we watched him make a few tiles again. The guy kept indicating I should come and take another photo. Dong had invited us yesterday to come to his home for a meal with his family but Kevin did not want to go as we are running out of nights in Hoi An and wish to sample more of the great restaurants in town. We also will have another family dinner this week and on Thursday we are catching up with Jenni McCormick who is from Mt Gambier and arrives in Hoi An on Thursday and we leave on Friday so it is our only chance. Off to the beach again after breakfast until lunch time. On the way back Kevin went Cua Dai Beach way so he could get petrol and I wet via the town so I could have a look at Susie’s homestay in 173-175 Ly Thoung Kiet St which is above the furniture shop. Tan (Tonne) (email: trungluong23@yahoo.com) wasn’t there but they rang her and she came to show me through the new rooms which have nearly been completed. There are 7 rooms over 3 levels and the ones at the front are much larger with large bedroom area and also a lounge and separate TV area. Was very nice. Susie was home so I had a quick chat with her and she says she pays $350pm which is very good for Hoi An standards. When we came downstairs I met Monika (blog:crapfoodbites.wordpress.com) who is living in Hoi An and trying to establish a food tour business. Kevin was a little paniced when I got back as he didn’t know where I had got to, Had arranged to meet Vinh (gardener who left hotel last week) for a coffee but we were running late as wemcouldn’t find the key to lock up. Finally worked out it was in the safe. Dah what a senior moment. After coffee we headed across to Randy’s Book W Change on Cam Nam Island to look at his e-book range. Cost $2 each and he has thousands of books. Have borrowed the catalogue to browse through. We then went back to Phoungs the tailor and picked up our last clothes we are having made. Bold statement I know. From here I took Kevin to the Homestay to have look and he was dually impressed and we will certainly keep these in mind for next visit. Decide to go to Thuan Y Restaurant which is on the riverfront and was recommended by Neville.  We ordered from the Hoi An Specialties menu and had White Rose and also spring rolls. I had Cau Lau with pork for main and Kevin had pork and vegetables. The food was very good and while we were there 2 other tables came in who were on the food tour as well. Cost less than $15 for two courses and a beer each. On the way back we stopped for some shopping, ties and scarves. Kevin needs a belt for his new shorts but we couldn’t  see any so we may just buy some rope tomorrow. Finished off my red wine tonight – 2 litre cask that is.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.