Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 12 - 25th June 2013 - Danang to Hue

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 26 June 2013 | Views [502]

Went out for an early walk along the river. Kevin went over the first bridge to the oher side and then along until the dragon bridge and back. He said the paving was fantastic. Headed up to the 8th floor for breakie. Last night they rang our room at 10pm and asked what we wanted for breakie. Had to pre-order a basic meal. After breakie I updated the blog and loaded some photos and then decided to duck out to take some local pictures. Just across from hotel was coffin maker, then a hairdresser, then a gas bottle outlet, family homes, local coffee houses, mechanics etc. Took a number of pictures showing the variety on the street. All people happy to pose for photo if you ask them. Headed off to train station at 11am for our trip to Hue. Station very crouded and hot. Train was delayed 40 min so had to stand around in packed area melting in 36C outside temp so imagine what it was inside. Finally train arrived RE2 from HCMC to Hanoi. Struggled with our bags up steep steps and then had to lift to overhead racks. Imagine Kevin trying to lift a 25kg bag above his head. A few swear words were spoken. Found our allocated soft seats and sank into them. Was supposed to be a/c but not very effective.  Took 3 hours to travel 100km but the scenery was really nice as the train hugged the coastline most of the way. Hotel is Holiday Diamond and is off a side street down an alley and is very nice. Anna welcomed us and we were given cold towel, juice, iced tea and water melon. Room ok but a/c not really effective. Anna ran through all the tour guide info and tried to sign us up there and then for all types of tours. Told her we would think about it. Hit the mini bar for a Huda Beer - local cheap drop. Went out for a walk about 5.45pm and wondered down Le Loi St the main street this side of Perfume River and called in at DMC Cafe for a drink - Hue Beer. Is right on the corner and a good spot to people watch. A chap suffering effects of agent orange approached to sell us silk paintings. We bought 2 for $6 just to help him out. Went to Golden Rice Restuarant on recommendation of Anna at hoetl. Kevin took one look and said I'm not eating here, we could just as well be in Reynella. Told him to grow up and get inside. At this stage we were the only people there and soon after a large party arrived and headed upstairs. Started with fried spring rolls for Kevin and cold rolls with shrimp for myself and a Biere Larue beer with ice. We have now had 3 different beer types today. After our starters we then decided to order a main and Kevin had Beef Lot Leaf and I had noodle with vegies, shrimp, pork. Kevin said his little green logs were the best he had ever had. Amazing since he only had them once before at Dalat last year. I tried one and they were tasty. Because we ordered a main we got a suprise which was extra fried spring rolls - another 4. Well we just had to eat them. Wondered back to hotel via back streets. Room very stuffy and a/c not appearing to be very good. Will see how we sleep before complaining. Charged all appliances - camera, kindle, android, phones ready for big day sightseeing tommorow. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.