Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 3 - 16th June 2013 - HCMC

VIETNAM | Monday, 17 June 2013 | Views [472]

Slept well last night. Kevin went for his brisk walk again this morning but I wimped out after yesterdays big day. I spent the time he was gone trying to log onto this blog. Boy is the internet so slow and intemitant. Had 3 tries at getting the info entered. While I was trying the 3rd time and Kevin was in the shower the power wnt out!!!! After blaming me for the power failure and finding out it was the whole area we headed down to breakfast. Downstairs had a generator running so we were able to eat. Ms Kim advised that power would be off until 1pm. After breakie we head down towards Saigon river for a look around. There was a foot bridge across the river - Khanh Hoi Bridge and once again there were many people having wedding and fashion photos taken. From here we headed toward the wharf area where there is floating restuarants, hydrofoil station and other boats. We were approached by a wooden boatsman to take a 1 hour trip for 500,000 dong which is $25. Thought this was too much and got him down to 300,000 dong but still not happy. Really wanted to pay only $10, so we walked away toward Saigon Square 2 a shopping area for locals which is further along the river road. The chap we had been negotiating with followed us and after a time accepted $10 for the trip. Told him we would do it after going to Saigon Square in an hours time. Kept on until we got to shopping area and wondered around some. Kevin bought a wathch - yes another Casio digital watch for $6 and a Huggo Boss leather wallet for $10. The wallet lady started at 550,000 dong ie $27.50 but we bargined hard. Tried on some sandals but not quiet right. It was about 2 hours later that we got back to the boat place and our man was not there. Someone else came up and said they would do it for the same price. Off we went. Headed toward District 7 where the government has build high rise accomodation for the people that were displaced in the city centre. Before we had gone half way it started to rain and then thunder and lighteneing. Great!!! Down came the makeshift sides /awnings to provide a little shelter. Next thing the driver offered me his rain coat out of a new bag. I grabbed it quickly and put it on. Kevin got the full brunt of the storm and was satuated within minutes. We stopped under some palms to get a little shelter but the rain was not letting up so the driver braved it. We would often stop so he could clear the propeller of debris. He took his shirt off and would reach over into the water to free it.On arriving back at the dock we scrambled up the slippery stones to some shelter. I then offered to buy the raincoat as I didn't want to give it back. He charged me $2. We ended up getting a ride on the back of 2 motorbikes back to the hotel as it was still raining. This cost $3. Luckily the power was back on but the rain was not letting up so we stayed in the room most of the afternoon. Headed out for tea early at 6pm and went to Bamboo Garden Restuarant on side street. Kevin had beef with cashew nuts and I had Pho Bo (Beef noodle soup). They offered us a free cocktail so I tried a Motjoil cocktail which is rum, lime, lemon and mint - wasn't too bad and Kevin had a srewdriver - vodka and orange. At dinner we got talking to 2 young girls from Rotterdam in Holland and they were uni students studying Law and Medicine and were travelling through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thialand for 8 weeks in the school break. Interesting conversation was had. Left to go looking for a battery for remote control for media player. Finally found one but when we got back it didn't work. Not happy as I will need to look in Nha Trang tomorrow. Got back to room 9.30pm and watched some TV and updated blog. Still drizzling.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.