Existing Member?

Off and Running

A Fairytale City

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 9 November 2015 | Views [374]

I spontaneously booked a trip to Prague when I was in Nuremberg. It is only 5 five hours by bus and I have heard amazing things about Prague. Arriving in Prague I was in my European mood, had my bitch face on and knew not to ask anyone for help especially as I read somewhere that Czech people are the least welcoming in Europe. I knew hardly anything about the Czech Republic so I was pretty proud of myself when I managed to work out the metro line and tickets. I arrived at my hostel which I knew was going to be good because it had over 1000 excellent reviews. I fell in love with the guy at the reception because he was nice to me, carried my bags up six floors and showed me where my room was (love you). 

 I didn't have much time to explore as I arrived late afternoon and the sun sets at around 4:30pm. The hostel has free activities on every night, the first night was a night walking tour. I ran into the two Aussie girls I was hanging with in Austria with no idea that they were coming to Prague-so crazy! We were in a group of about ten people who all spoke Spanish, including the tour guide. The tour guide forgot about us Aussies and spoke Spanish for most of the tour- meaning we didn't get any of the information. Prague at night is so beautiful- especially Charles Bridge. After the tour we all decided to go to the Beer Museum. It had every type of beer, from chocolate beer to honey beer. I just stuck with a cider and it was the best cider I have ever had.

 
The next day I was running on a lack of sleep (as always). Two Russian ladies in my dorm were having a nice chat at 7:30am (No worries there's not six other people trying to sleep in the room). I couldn't get back to sleep so decided to get up and explore. I visited Charles bridge again (In love so amazing). Went to the Prague castle and saw the changing of the guards. Found the John Lennon wall and listened to an amazing busker who was playing his songs as a tribute. Went to the Old Prague tower at sunset and stayed until it got dark. While I was up there an Asian man asked for a photo with me. Travelling solo I needed all the friends I could get, even if it was a 40 year old Asian man. So I had the photo with him and chatted for a while. At this point I was super sick from catching a cold in Germany but still didn't turn down the chance to go go an ice bar with my Aussie friends. I did regret it a little bit as it was -7 in the bar and I was ready to die. I spent the night coughing my lungs out in the hostel common room at 3am along with the Russians who were drinking vodka.
 
 
Nothing could stop me from travelling, even if it was a terrible cold. So I went to the local chemist, grabbed some medication which I couldn't even understand and just hoped that the medication wouldn't kill me. I survived the rest of my last day in Prague by indulging myself in the local Czech doughnuts- amazing. 
 
 
Prague is a fairytale city and I am so happy I got to spend some time here and as always I wish I had more time to explore. But for now Prague will just be in my dreams. 
 
 

Tags: czech republic, prague

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.