Existing Member?

Off and Running

Beautiful Bergen

NORWAY | Thursday, 8 October 2015 | Views [545]

Bergen is the second largest city in Norway and is on the south west side. It is surrounded by Fjords and mountains and is incredibly beautiful. I was luckily enough to have two nights there. Accommodation is ridiculously expensive in Norway (along with everything else). However, I found a fairly cheap and nice guesthouse called Marken Gjestehus. It is in a fab location right in the heart of Bergen. 

Window views

Before arriving to Bergen I had no idea of how I was going to spend my time here. Seeing as I was in a great location I decided to wander around and found myself at the Famous Fisherman's wharf (Bryggen). At the Fishermans wharf they have blocks of coloured old buildings which are super cute. Some are cafes, shops or art galleries. Fun fact that I learnt while I was here is that Norway is home to the trolls and Vikings. I did not realise this until I visited a gift shop and was surrounded by troll dolls staring at me from every angle. Creepy as.
 
Bergen houses
 
I went to the fanciest McDonald's I have ever seen and treated myself to a meal which was crazy expensive ($17). But the fact that the McDonald's looked like a proper restaurant made me feel a lot better about being so poor in the most expensive country in the world. 
Best maccas ever
 
I wandered the streets some more and come across some amazing street art. This one in particular was amazing- 'There are a lot of good people around'. To see such a positive sign lit up in neon on the walls of a popular city is such a cool thing to see.
 
 
 
After exploring a bit more I decided to head up to the top of Bergen (Mount Floyen). There is a cable car which takes you to the top and has incredible views of the mountains and city. The views were amazing and I was luckily enough to be standing near a photographer who offered to take some pictures of me. I enjoyed the view with ice cream and it was the BEST ice-cream I have ever had. It did cost me an arm and a leg though. 
 
 
 
I went exploring a bit more and found a Mexican cafe and had my long awaited reunion with a massive bowl of nachos. Zamberoros and salsas I miss you so much. The people were so so helpful and lovely in Bergen- Norwegian people in general are really lovely and gorgeous. Such a beautiful country and I wish I had more time to explore it. 
 

Tags: bergen, norway

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.