Existing Member?

Don't foget to pack a smile A journal of an aussie gal's adventures while living and working in UK and riding the wave that is travel

Do I work with undercover movie stars?

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 20 June 2008 | Views [605]

As many will know, I tend to have an overactive imagination but I have been meeting some rather unusual people lately.. and I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or if these people really do resemble movie stars...

Let me explain - top boss, so my managers boss.. he is a dead ringer for John Cleese. In every way, from his eyes, to his dead pan serious voice then when he laughs he has that haw haw haw thing happening that is so basil faulty when he's trying to charm a snobby hotel customer. He is manically frantic like John Cleese, tall and lumbering and kind of always shufflying and kerfuffling about. It honestly makes me laugh. I urge u to take a good hard look at a picture of john cleese. See how the colour of his eyes stand out and the whites look very white, well thats what his look like, and when hes excited they go to goggle volume, his eyes go big and goggly.. hehehe hes charmingly effervecent and u cant help but love him.. but eccentric in every way.. so on my way to my desk every day i cant help but internally say to myself.. 'morning basil'.

then i went to a meeting this week with a guy from the library services department and I couldnt help but think i'd stepped into a scene from Snatch or lock stock and two smoking barrels. This man is huge, his hands are the size of small chiwauhas ( i know i spelt that wrong), he has angular features, which a chisled jaw that juts out with a cleft in his chin. He has this southern london drawl and a furrowed brow that wouldnt look out of place playing a ganster or security guard in a off beat gritty thug movie. So when he turns to me and says ' if theres anyfing u want, i am ur man, i can get it' i nearly snort and chortle with laughter.. he is the very exact opposite of a librarian clerk u cld possibly imagine, and I could swear he looks a lot like a guy you wouldnt want to mess around, which is why its perplexing when he starts telling me about his newborn daughter and her gurgling and etc.. he just looks like hed be at home with a cigar dangling out the of the corner of his mouth, standing on a dirty street corner going ' so.. what'll it be'...

then i go to the gym, i have my personal trainer guy who writes up a program for me.. and i do a double take. he looks very very oddly familar.. he has this dopey grin smile, and slighly downward tilting eyes that look a bit charming but obscure at the same time.. i puzzle at it thru the whole session, im sure he thinks im frowning in concentraion, imagining all the calories i am burning.. but instead, im thinking cld he be the brother of some celebrity? where on earth do i know him from.... then at the end it dawns on me.. hugh grant.. he looks and even talks like hugh grant, he has that nervous flicker of the hair (allbeit his is blonde and spikey), that darting uncomfortable air about him but his eyes and smile undoes him.. god i had to keep the giggles inside, i cldnt resist at the end tho and i said.. does anyone tell u u look like hugh grant and he sighed and went not a bloody another one.... hahahah poor guy.. he seemed nice enough.. but he really was a dead ringer for him...

my next encounter was waiting at the train station in waterloo for the inerchange, I noticed a guy, he was tall, black and had puffy pants and an air of importance about him.. there where a few people looking at him and whispering and i thought.. omg.. is tthat... could it be? p diddy?.. i was tempted to go up and say, so is ur next name going to be p diddly? but i held back.. with my propensity to think people look like celebrities seeming to overwhelm me this week I thought better to be safe than sorry.. then out of the corner of my eye I notice a guy gather his nerves and approach him, he said excuse me are u p diddy?.. and the guy turned and said.. what r u on man? cant u see im.. bla bla.. some guy from east enders apparently, although i have no clue who as I dont watch hardly any of the tv over here, except friends and scrubs re runs and my name is earl...

so i breathed a sigh of relief because a) he wasnt p diddy but b) at least i wasnt going insane, he was someone relatively famous..

so then i go to pret a porte ( a cafe chain over in uk) to get a quick coffee and i see a girl, shes got long blonde hair and seems to be pouting, she has a massive mouth and is throwing her weight around wanting to jump the queue. she says to me in the most cockney british accent ive heard, do u mind if i jump ahead im in a rush.. and i said yes actually i do, sorry.. im sure it wont hurt to wait.. well she was not impressed.. then i got to thinking, she was kind of willowy looking and had a very familiar look about her.. and i though omg.. cld it be sienna?.. i know what are the odds?.. so i sneak back a glance and shes wearing huge jackie o glasses that make her look even more famous.. and anyways.. she goes to the lady in front of me and asks to push in and she lets her, gets served and saunters away.. then the lady behind me goes.. u know who she was wasnt she? and i nod.. and she says, its chelsy davy..( prince harry's gf).. im like great, im so in with the royal family, i just pissed off the girl whos dating one of hte princes hahaha.. just my luck...

so that brings the week to nearly a close but i met the train operator in wimbledon this week, he came into our carriage to tell off someone, and omg he looked just like robert, from eerybody loves raymond, my godness it cracked me up. tall and lumbering with a deep deep voice and dead pan attiude, the doeful sad eyes so when he says dont do that, u just want to do it again just to see what hell do.. the poor guy had to deal with some rambunctious teenagers who kept pressing on the driver alert.. in the end his superior had to come in because the teenagers werent paying any attention to him... poor guy but so funny how uncannily similar he looked to the character on everybody loves raymond.

well hopefully thinking im seeing celebrities will eventually where off, i suppose it doesnt help that half the media is obssessed with tabloid celebrity news over here and u cant move without hearing the latest crazy thing amy winehouse has done, or that pete doherty or kate moss have been up to...

well im off to ascot races on the weekend where i know for a fact the royal family will be there, heres hoping chelsey doesnt remember me and i can make a better impression second time round.

xx

jess

About wandering_jess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.