Existing Member?

Don't foget to pack a smile A journal of an aussie gal's adventures while living and working in UK and riding the wave that is travel

An aussie gal in a permmanet world

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 10 June 2008 | Views [286]

Well today was my first day as a permanent londoner worker. It was an interesting one to say the least.

Over here, permanency is something of a widely chased urban myth, its not offered often and its rarely ever caught in its natural habitat. If it is, its caught and tamed quickly lol. So here I am four weeks in and taming the permanency beast.

It was certainly the last thing I expected to be told two weeks into the job, that they wanted me to stay on. and stay on not as a contractor but as a member of permanent staff. I was chuffed, honoured and very flattered all at once, which may or may not mean all the same things.

Well I went to my induction, which I thought I had when I first arrived. Not so. I had to be introduced into the permanency role, which invovled perks such as a work health insurance policy, your own blackberry for personal calls and web and work access, an access code to the whole host of training they provide and much more. It was an exciting glimpse into the world in which I will be working.

I think I have been one of hte very lucky ones that will be able to shed ties with my recruitment agency. My work wil be taking over the role of paying me and handling everything for me, and will cancel the contract with my recruitment agency for a very high fee. This has added bonuses, means you are always paid on time, ur tax is properly paid and you dont have to put in timesheets, or paperwork every week in order to get money into your account. I'm quite surprised, because most people who are kept on after a contract, (mine was supposed to end in mid july) are still employed through the recruitment agency.

Its hard to explain but over here, you dont even get an interview unless you have run the gauntlet of the recruitment bull race. I registered with three and it was an experience, let me just say that. There are personality quizes, strange questioning, (such as if you were a colour what would you be, and if you were in charge of the evacuation of earth what would u do?) yes all important and life shattering questions that clearly indicate if I'm suitable for a job I'm sure you'll agree..

So they pester you, they hound you, you get a million emails and thats if you're lucky. There is the other end of the spectrum where they will just ignore you like a piece of poo on their shoe. Luckily, or perhaps not, I was on their must call every 15 minutes list. You might think being popular with the recruitment agency would be fun, but its more like being the angelina jolie of hte paparazzi world, lots of attention with little benefit. (sorry i just was looking for a chance to compare myself to her, its nice to pretend).

So I've had recruiters try to lie on my resume to get me job, tried to get me to accept interviews for jobs I am a) not qualified for b) I would hate c) is shit pay. And i've had to employ the tough love strategy, because after a while, their stroking of your ego and promises of work here there and everywhere, gets a little on the nose if you get my drift.

So now entering the world of permanency is quite exciting, I am considered an 'employee' not a temp or contractor. Back home, permanency is just taken for granted, everyone is given it. Over here, you have to earn it and even then, some companies only employ contractors. So you dont get paid holidays, sick days or any other perks.

You want to know what I'm most excited about? it means i get a desk plaque, so sad but only permanent staff can get one, so soon I will have my very own, and will also get a chance to meet the ceo and cfo face to face.. scary but excting all the same.

So here I am, a day in and I like to think that taming this beast will be more fun than troublesome, there will be more highlights then low lights and I'll walk away with a shining halo with a plaque that says, I became permanent and survived.

At least thats the plan anyway.

cya

jess

About wandering_jess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.