Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

Burke and Wills Never had it so good

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [382]

So I live in Innamincka... for those of you who are thinking inna fucking what... 

Innamincka is a tiny settlement in north-east South Australia. It is 1065 km northeast of Adelaide and 459 km from Lyndhurst up the Strzelecki Track. It is situated on the banks of Cooper Creek in the state's Channel Country, and surrounded by the Strzelecki, Tirari and Sturt Stony Deserts. It is situated within Innamincka Regional Reserve. Innamincka has a population of about 12 permanent residents.
 
I am surrounded by dirt and flies and I am 8 hours from the nearest city. We get mail once a week by plane. There are no shops, doctors, restaurants, gyms or bars. 
 
In the areas that surround Innamincka, men and women work on the rigs mining for oil and gas and often we get them staying with us at the Innamincka Hotel.
 
In 1860–61, Robert O'Hara Burke and William John Wills led an expedition of 19 men with the intention of crossing Australia from Melbourne in the south to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the north, a distance of around 3,250 kilometres (approximately 2,000 miles). At that time most of the inland of Australia had not been explored by non-indigenous people and was completely unknown to the European settlers.
 
The Innamincka Hotel is an experience in its own right.
 
So it's my day off today and after enjoying a lovely walk along the Cooper Creek eating flies, I decided the only thing left to do so at 3 in the afternoon was sit at the famous bar and drink Wild Turkey.... The rest is history (excuse the pun) :)
 
Peace and Love
 
Zoe xxx

Tags: burke and wills, desert, history, innamincka, outback, south australia

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.