Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

Wanderlust takes on Singapore

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 10 February 2013 | Views [326]

Wanderlust takes on Singapore...  11/02/13

 
Wednesday saw a 13 hour flight out of London Heathrow on a British Airways staff ticket to Singapore.  My final destination was Australia but while checking in I was told I could be stuck in Singapore for a few days. Did I want to still fly? Of course I bloody did... Another country, another adventure... This is the fun of it!!
My friend Rory booked my original ticket for me from LHR-SYD and James helped me with everything at the airport. It was like having my own PA. I am very lucky to have such nice friends. James did everything he could to get me to Australia weather it be with British Airways or Qantas.
 
So I arrived at Singapore Changi Airport and listed for a flight to Adelaide. I was on standby waiting for a seat to become available. As expected, there were no seats and I was told to come back at the same time the following day. So I get to spend a night in Singapore... YHAY!
 
I met Felicity in the transfer queue who was also traveling on a staff ticket. When I went to collect my bag I saw her again. Neither of us had got on the flight and were to spend a night on our own in Singapore. We swapped numbers and emails as she had booked into a hotel and I had booked into a hostel and had planned to go for drinks. In the end we took a shuttle bus to her hotel and she said I could stay there the night :) Not bad for a back packer in an ibis hotel... I'm a jammy bugger.
 
We went out for the night and had all our drinks bought for us by two English men we met who lived out there... Bonus! Cocktails and a bottle if vodka for the table. They showed us around and took us to the best bars/clubs for a Thursday night. We returned the favor and bought them a round... $108 of it!!!! Steep!!
We danced until the early hours of the morning in the Marriott Hotel which had the latest license before heading to Maccas for what I had hoped was going to be an egg and bacon McMuffin but turns out it was more a burger and egg with turkey bacon... Probably horse meat... Was totally gross but I was pretty hungry and very wasted!
 
We checked out of the hotel at 4pm the following day... Got a late check out time since we arrived late the evening before plus we had to check out by 3pm but were in bed until 15:10 and when we got a call we just apologised and said we must have got the time wrong... Wasn't a problem :)
 
We arrived at the airport and listed for a flight to Sydney. There were no flights to Adelaide today.  I had a connecting flight from Sydney to Adelaide with Jet Star which I had already missed so I went to the Jet Star counter to see if there was anything I could do. To be honest I thought it would be like trying to make water flow uphill trying to change it or get a refund but something told me to try.  The very nice man behind the service desk said I could in fact change my flight which I had missed hours before and rebooked me for a flight on Monday!!! Someone is really looking out for me at the moment!! Absolutely gob smacked with that result. Thought it would be a case of having to purchase a new flight all together.
 
So turns out the flight to Sydney had no seats. I got chatting to one of the Qantas Captains who was flying the QF10 to Melbourne. I asked if it would be possible to have the jump seats but because we were not cabin crew trained it was not possible. He suggested that we list for the flight though as he knew of 3 spare seats and said there would be no shows; so that is exactly what we did and low and behold we got a friggin seat! Felicity and I must have been the most appreciative passengers, we jumped, screamed and hugged! I'm now one step closer to where I am going :)
 
We ran to the boarding gate as the flight was in minutes of leaving... Thought I was going to die, sweating my tits off and we made it... Even got to sit next to each other!! A very good and exciting trip from London to Australia :)
 
Peace and Love
 
Zoe xxx
 

Tags: singapore

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.