Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

Ko Phi Phi... An Island with no cars

THAILAND | Friday, 23 November 2012 | Views [331]

Long Beach, Ko Phi Phi

Long Beach, Ko Phi Phi

We got the early boat over to Phi Phi.  We met Tim again on the transfer bus to the ferry point.  It's crazy to think how many times in life you walk past the same person without making any conversation as we had now bumped into Tim three times.

Once We arrived in Phi Phi we had to find accommodation.  This was the first time I would experience real back packing, since we had to walk around in the sweltering heat looking for a place to stay.  There are no cars or tuk tuks on Phi Phi Island and no trollies we could steal to push our bags round in.  Luckily it is a very small Island since you can not fit cars on the streets.
 
We went to the first place we saw to ask for a room and we were quoted 1,300 Baht.  As much as I wanted to get my bag off my back, there was no way I was going to pay that much as I am on a massive budget.  Lots of the accommodation was full and I was sweating my tits off and getting really quite stressed (so I gave my bag a kick) always makes me feel better!!
 
After a while I got Jodie to wait with the bags and I went on a search for the cheapest room.  I managed to find one for 400 Baht... Yhay!! It was just a room with a double bed with no sheets but we had a fan and there was a shared bathroom so it would do. 
 
We went straight to the sea once we had dumped our bags as we needed to cool down.  Only the sea was like a bath... I have never been in sea water so warm, it was amazing.  Already I loved Phi, Phi.
 
We drank from buckets and there became a new meaning to 'Ring of Fire' Of course Jodie and I had a go after a few buckets and jumped through the burning flames!!
 
We didnt do much of the sight seeing we wanted to do in in Phi Phi as we were waiting for Rebecca to arrive but we did climb to the Phi Phi View Points which was also the Tsunami evacuation point.  We climbed 186 feet above sea level.  The view was amazing once we were up there but my legs wouldn't stop trembling once we were down and I had to go and lie down for the rest of the afternoon... I thought I was gonna die.... Ha!!
 
We also took a walk to Long Beach which was beautiful and I had the most amazing Pad Thai and Mixed Shake from one of the restaurants.
 
On our second night in Phi Phi, Jodie thought it would be a good idea to get my name tattooed to the bottom of her foot.  I am still in shock about this and so there isn't much to say apart from when I told my mum she said what was she thinking and then said  'In your footsteps you will always travel together' She always knows how to make everything beautiful!!
 
The next day I got my tattoo which was the word 'Wanderlust' on my wrist.  Mine had been planned for some time and I had asked mum to write it on a piece of paper for me and send it through to my phone. I had the tattoo artist print it from my phone and I now have my mums handwriting on my wrist :). I couldn't think of a nicer font.  We both had our tattoos with Bamboo.  
 
Wanderlust is German and means 'A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel'
 
Peace and Love
 
Zoe xxx

Tags: bamboo, long beach, view point, wanderlust

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.