Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

Koh Samui, The Tourism Hotspot

THAILAND | Monday, 3 December 2012 | Views [213]

Elephant Trekking, Koh Samui

Elephant Trekking, Koh Samui

On 3rd December we took an early Boat to Koh Samui where we were meeting Rebecca at the airport for her 10 day holiday with us. We were booked into Z Hotel in Cheewang Beach. It was only 250 baht a night each. We hired another jeep despite shitting ourselves in the last one and picked Rebecca up from the airport.

The next morning the whole island had a power cut and only those with generators had Electricity. Our hotel didn't even have any water as it was running off electric. This also meant no flush on the toilet!!! GREAT... and it was off for the next 3 days!! Getting ready in the dark was a challenge... Given the fact it was dark and we couldn't have showers, we didn't go out in Koh Samui other than for food.

Some of the things we saw in Koh Samui were...
 
Big Buddha.. A huge gold statue. This is in the Northern Coast of Koh Samui and is probably the most well known landmark.  It is 12 metres high. There is a small market selling clothes and souvenirs among many food stalls.
 
Namuang Waterfall 2... One of the best waterfalls I have seen and great for a dip!
 
Grandfather and Grandmother rocks  (Hin Ta and Hin Yai) These rocks look like male and female genital.  The Granpa rock was not all that great but the Grandma rock looked pretty damn clever. There are a couple of stories I heard about how they got there. One was thait they were made by a mand and woman who were caught up in a storm at sea and were unable to swim and so they carved the rocks to show there love for each other.... Actually I will go with this one, I like this story!
 
We took a organised tour for Elephant Trekking at Namuang Waterfall 1. We met a local man who said that his ivory necklace prevented him from being bitten by the Scorpion and he found one to prove it... I was shitting myself at this point since he had told us that one bite and you were dead. But true to his word... He survived!!
 
We saw a Mummified Monk at Wat Khunaram. The monk died in 1973 in a seated meditative position and ever since his body has been on display in anupright case at the temple. Usually after about 4 days the body would disintegrate... but 40 years on and this monk still had hair on his head and apparently it still grew... Not sure how true it was but it was pretty special to see. We all donated money to a Monk and he blessed us with water and he tied a white bracelet on each of us.
 
We also saw working monkeys which was pretty cool. They ran up the palm trees to pick the coconuts.
 
Lots to see in Koh Samui.
 
Peace and Love
 
Zoe xxx

Tags: elephant treking, koh samui, monk, thailand, waterfall

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.