Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

Innamincka Hotel, Outback South Australia

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 23 February 2012 | Views [423]

Tuesday 21st February, Jodie returned to Australia only to leave her camera and sunnies back in England!! Ha ha, only her. Best thing is, she actually did this twice!! Jodie had been applying for jobs in outback hotels whilst at home and three of them had got back to us with work. We accepted an offer at Innamincka Hotel. I spoke to the manager over the phone and she booked and paid for our flights from Adelaide to Moomba where she would meet us. Jodie flew in to Melbourne airport and caught a bus to Mount Eliza and stayed with me at Mary's until we were due to fly to Adelaide on the 23rd for our new job.

We were both so excited about the experience and we hoped it would count towards our second year visa since we didn't really fancy fruit picking or farm work.  When we landed at Moomba, we were suprised it was just a shed like building and we collected our bags from a trolley.  Greg, the male manager picked us up from the airport for an hour and 15 min drive to the hotel. it really was something so different. It was so isolated and it was just a bumpy dirt road all the way to the hotel. Everything was so brown. when we arrived at the hotel, that's all there was in 'the town' with a trading post next door. Jodie and I spent 3 1/2 months working at the hotel and had some really great times.  I would recommend working in the outback to any backpacker and although hospitality did not count for our regional work, we had such an experience. We also managed to arrange our regional work through meeting and talking to people who came to the hotel.

Peace and Love

Zoe xxx

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.