Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

The Great Ocean Road

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 16 January 2012 | Views [157]

The Great Ocean Road was built by returning soldiers in memory of their fallen comrades. It starts at Torquay and finishes up at Warranambool. Kirsty, Kelly and I hired a car for 5 days and took it in turns to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide. We visited: Erskine Falls Mackenzie Falls 12 Apostles London Bridge Loch and Gorge On our first day we stopped off at Torquay, Bells Beach, Split Point Light House and various lookouts.  The weather was beautiful. We took pictures of everything.  Late that afternoon we checked into a camp site in Lorne.  We had found a tent in the left items at the Nomads Hostel in Melbourne. Bonus!! That night we watched Wolf Creek (not the best of films when in the Australian outback)

Tuesday was my turn to drive. The views along this road really were spectacular. We stopped at Erskine Falls. Kelly and Kirsty had their bikinis on but Kelly dragged me in with my clothes on. It was freezing but really good fun. This was the day Kelly walked into a tree branch and stacked it on the floor!!! Lool. That evening we stayed in Port Cambell at Port Cambell Hostel. The night consisted of more drinking games and more Goon!!

On Wednesday we drove to see the 12 Apostles of which there are now only 6. After the 12 Apostles we saw the Loch and Gorge. We took some great pictures. The Loch Ard was a ship that had sailed for 3 months from Gravesend in England to this point and hit rocks. There were only 2 survivors found washed up in the Gorge.  We then saw the London Bridge which had once been joined to the land.  After the London Bridge there was not a lot to stop and look at until we arrived at the Grampians. That evening we stayed in an old jail in Mount Gambier.  We checked out the Blue Lake and met a lot of other people who we played drinking games with in the evening... I ended up sick!!

On Thursday we headed to the Grampians where I saw my first wild kangaroo and Mackenzie Falls. Mackenzie Falls was even bigger than Erskine Falls. The girls went in for a swim in the pool below. I stayed back and took pictures. It was beautiful. Late on Thursday we arrived in Adelaide.

Peace and Love

Zoe xxx

Tags: the great ocean road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.