Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

NSW- The First State

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 21 November 2011 | Views [241]

Sydney Harbour Bridge

Sydney Harbour Bridge

My arrival point in Australia was Sydney... I flew from London Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic. Everyman very lucky that Karen, one if my best friends works for Virgin and was able to book me a one way ticket for just £473. My flight stopped in Hong Kong to refuel and change crew. Once I disembarked the plane I met Ellen. She was a lovely old lady who I stuck with until boarding the next flight. It was nice to have someone to talk to and help each other get around.

i had not been in my seat long when cabin crew Tom cme to introduce himself and I was upgraded to Premium Economy which was a lovely suprise. I was given a glass of champs gone... What a way to start!!!

Jodie met me at the airport and we caught a train to Sydney Central.

Not going to lie, my first impressions were not good. It looked very much like London and the weather was not what I expected.

Jodie and I opened Australian Bank Accounts with Commonwealth as this and a Tax File Number (TFN) are essential for working in Australia.

I spent 3 nights in a hostel in the city at Maze Backpackers and then moved to Bondi where I spent 6 weeks at Surf-side Backpackers.

My first night in Sydney was spent in Scruffy Murphy's and what an experience that was... $30 for two double vodkas. This was going to be an expensive journey!!

Tuesday saw us catch the party bus to 'The Gaff' It was rammed with people blasting out music... This is what I came to Oz for!! At the Gaff backpackers got free entry, two free drinks and free food.

Wednesday night was spent at The Eastern.... A jam packed first few days of nothing but partying!!!!

My first month was very up and down. I had made no plans before I arrived and knew very little about Australia itself. I felt very homesick. It rained everyday for almost two weeks.

I came for an adventure although I seemed to have landed myself in a hostel with people who had no get up and go to see or do anything other than drink Goon all day in the hostel. Goon is wine in a box... 4 litres of it! It is the cheapest drink out here and backpackers drink it before they go out. It is between $9.50 and $12.99 a box. It tastes absolutely vile, but it does the job!

I imagined paradise, camper vans, BBQ’s on the beach, playing the guitar around a camp fire. Maybe I was expecting too much.

On 4th December my friend Rory who I used to work with at British Airways came to stay as he had been visiting his mum who lives in Australia. He had only planned to stay one night but he ended up staying with us for three nights. Was nice to see a familiar face.

On 5th December I darted working for The Gaff. Liz a girl I met oh ad sorted me out a job in promotions. I met Lloys who was in charge of the promo for The Gaff. I spent the week with Liz and Lloyd. Liz and I worked together going around the city and Bondi hostels promoting Tuesday nights. The following week Lloyd left The Gaff and Liz and I were asked to work for Irock entertainment. More on Irock to follow....

Peace and Love 

Zoe xxx

Tags: australia, bondi, goon, sydney, virgin atlantic

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.