Existing Member?

Wander + Share ✈ Wanderlust takes us to faraway places. Love brings us home.

I want to live and work in Australia. How do I go about it?

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 7 June 2013 | Views [2113]

Firstly you will need to apply for a visa. I literally typed visa for Australia into Google and picked a site to apply. I can not remember who I applied with but probably the best site would be the official Australian Immigration site... www.immi.gov.au
My visa was granted within a few days. It is a really easy process.
Next step is to book a flight. I regularly use Skyscanner and there is even an app for smart phones that will find you the cheapest fare. If you are under 26, STA Travel usually have the cheapest flights going. 
A working holiday visa gives you longer to travel and grants you access to a country for a longer period of time than a standard tourist visa.  They are designed to help you find casual work that allows you to keep your funds topped up and your travel to continue.
In Australia a tourist visa is for 3 months and a working holiday for 12 months. You will not be able to work on a tourist visa, unless of course you get cash in hand.
It is a good idea to live in a hostel in the beginning.  Hostelworld is another good smart phone app for finding and booking hostels. I would strongly recommend that you try to get work for accommodation. You may have to work on reception or help make the beds for a few hours each day but in return your accommodation is free. 
Talking to other people who have jobs is a great way to get in and find a job for yourself.   I stayed in Surfside in Bondi and I made pancakes for 2 weeks over the Christmas period which gave me discounted accommodation and one week free. I also met a girl who worked for an entertainment company and I got a job with her selling festival tickets and promoting backpacker nights. It tied me through the struggle of arriving in Australia not knowing where I was going, what I was going to do and having little money. The price for accommodation over Christmas and New Year almost tripled so being able to work in the hostel was a god send!
Make sure you have a copy of your CV and take the time to write clever cover letters when applicable. You don't necessarily have to have printed copies but so long as you can email it or attach it or print it out if necessary.
Before you apply for work you will need a Tax File Number (TFN) This is compulsory so that you are taxed correctly and you can claim your tax back. You can do this online before you arrive in Australia... www.ato.gov.au
You will also need to open an Australian Bank Account. I opted for Commonwealth Bank but there are heaps to choose from. You have to visit a branch to do this so make it one of your first priorities when arriving in Australia and take your passport with you.
For me personally the best jobs have been remote location jobs since you spend next to nothing while you are there and can save like hell for the next adventure. 
Finally the top sites to look for jobs in Australia:
I hope you will enjoy Australia as much as I have.
Peace and Love
Zoe xxx

Tags: advice, australia, gap year, tip, travel, visa, working abroad, working holiday, working holiday visa

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.



Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.