Existing Member?

Around the world in 16 weeks

Chao chao Santiago!

CHILE | Saturday, 5 October 2013 | Views [418]

Have had an absolute ball in Santiago and its been amazing to be able to live like a local with Zoe. We've eaten sooooo well and I'd recommend Santiago to any foodies out there. 

My last few days involved:

1) Amazing dinners at Asia Lima (cevicheria), la Peluqueria Francesa ( crazy french bistro with a bathroom in a wardrobe!) and El Jardin. 2 of which were within walking distance of the flat- gotta love Provedencia as an area. 

2) The very sobering museum of human rights which takes you through the Pinochet years. Absolutely recommend it as it's really well done but prepare to tear up as the atrocities are really comfronting and hearing people's stories is heartbreaking. 

3) A shopping trip to the huge supermarket that is Jumbo. Me encanta Jumbo! Like Walmart but classier. It even had a ceviche bar! I got Zoe the chile version of monopoly in there so she has a memento of her time over in Santiago. 

4) Up San Cristobel hill via the crazy old funacular that another wee man cranks along, and Pablo Neruda's house where he stashed the mistress.

5) Lots of Spanish speaking with Zoe and out and about in the city. Finally tuned into the crazy fast Chilean accent and loving being able to use my Spanish again. 

So that's farewell to Santiago and now I'm off to Peru for the next stage of the mega trip. Then Zoe and I'll meet up in a week's time in Buenos Aires for another adventure. 3 weeks of holidays have flown by and starting on the island to de stress and then living in Santiago has been a great way to settle in to 16 weeks off work and my round the world adventure. 

Chao chao!

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.