Existing Member?

WT09 your two favourite gap-yearers make their way around the world armed only with a sense of adventure and a photocopied lonely planet guide to the mekong. wish us luck!

the greek islands and beyond (except not really beyond)

GREECE | Wednesday, 22 July 2009 | Views [3238] | Comments [2]

us on the beautiful santorini

us on the beautiful santorini

hey hey hey

because we are very clever, we are keeping up to date, and so now you get to find out about the incredible, tiring, beautiful, reasonably hectic greek islands. lucky you. even though it was us who went...

MYKONOS

As Iona said in the last blog, our ferry to Mykonos left hideously early, but it all worked out well as we got to mykonos (the most famous of greece's hedonistic islands) early enough in the day to be able to have a nap before our big venture into the world of clubbing that night. it was almost as though mykonos was celebrating the occasion because that night sneaky sound system were playing. as they do. just because. as you can imagine, it was awesome (a word i have not used in a while) and an amazing start to mykonos!

for the next couple of days and nights there iona and i entertained ourselves with a combination of sleep, beach, food and dancing like crazy people.

AND THEN, the day we were waiting for finally arrived - our dear friend jackie joined us, and then our (ok, my) dream of being a part of the 3 musketeers was finally realised! jackie came just in time for the full moon party, and even though she was tired we forced attendance upon her. we're such nice people.

while mykonos was pretty great, we did feel quite a lot younger than a majority of the other tourists there - most people were in their mid to late 20s, and a lot of them were very sleazy and italian - and also mykonos is almost ridiculously expensive, so we were excited to move onto the next island...

IOS

Part of the appeal of Ios lay in the fact that the first 2 letters of its name are the same as ionas (which is undeniably pretty exciting) but once we got there we realised it had much much more to offer to 3 hardcore travellers such as ourselves.

by the time we were a couple of days into ios, we no longer considered it strange to eat dinner around midnight, then go out after that, come home sometime after sunrise and sleep for half a day. then do it all again. we felt like quite accomplished partiers, until we saw some of the people that are in ios for the 'season' (roughly 2-3 months) who do exactly that for the entire time. every night. and often during the day.

it was cleverly pointed out to us by iona's dad that by the 3rd day in ios we were basically keeping new zealand time. on the other side of the world. i for one think that is pretty cool.

another thing that was really cool were these things called chocolate shots which we found at orange bar (go there if you ever get the chance). basically the woman there invented all these crazy shots which taste exactly like various chocolates, like malteser, bounty, twix etc etc. the list was soo long, and they were so good. we had them as our dessert. yum.

obviously we couldn't sustain the crazy hours forever (we're not quite as hardcore as i would have you believe) so next we hit up santorini for some much needed rest and relaxation. and some time to get over the somewhat disgusting 'ios cough' which apparently latches itself to anyone who visits ios for more than a few days. i also had to find my voice, which i cleverly managed to misplace somewhere between the mykonos and ios...

SANTORINI

Santorini was a fantastic place to end our time in Greece. the 3 of us spent copious amounts of time sleeping in our (airconditioned!) room and some time lying around on the black sand beaches of perissa. we also made a few ventures into town, and did one day tour around the island, when we got to climb a volcano, swim in some hot springs and see an incredible sunset from a part of santorini called oia.

we honestly did not do much more than that, and it was exactly what we needeed, so that iona and i could get ourselves ready for our somewhat impromptu trip to italy (yay!) and jackie could rev herself up for what sounds like a hectic hike in Crete!

so remain tuned, loyal readers, because next stop is rome!!!!!!

we love you lots and lots

vivienne (and iona)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

1

i read "chocolate shorts"
rather than "chocolate shots"
i was confused
xx

  lucy Jul 22, 2009 5:46 AM

2

choch shots sound amazin!!!

  mel Jul 30, 2009 9:58 PM

About vivienne_and_iona

it got cold

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.