Existing Member?

WT09 your two favourite gap-yearers make their way around the world armed only with a sense of adventure and a photocopied lonely planet guide to the mekong. wish us luck!

an epic amount of travel, and the very worthwhile end result.

THAILAND | Tuesday, 30 June 2009 | Views [858] | Comments [4]

sairee beach, koh tao

sairee beach, koh tao

HEY HEY HEY

since we last left you, iona and i have discovered a new limit to the amount of time that can be spent on an undeniably crap asian bus. before we had to travel from vang vieng (near the top of laos) to koh tao (at the bottom of thailand) we thought that 6 hours of atrocious karaoke was about it. how very very wrong we were. 30 (i kid you not) hours spent crammed into a bus seat or on the back of a pick up truck later, and we've decided that limits are out the window. no amount of transport can possibly be worse than that, and we left the experience feeling like very seasoned travellers. we're so clever.

but all that travel time, and a brief overnight transit in possibly the worst town in the history of asia (well, maybe not, but it really is very very dull) the end result was defintiely worth it!

because BASICALLY, this past week we've been on the absolutely amazing thai island of koh tao, and we had an absolutely fantastic time. not to make you jealous or anything (ok, maybe to make you jealous) but we spent our days lying either by the pool or on the beach, ocasionally moving to fetch nourishment or venture out in the evening. AND we somehow managed to get ourselves acommodation at a resort for $20 a night for both of us - still not quite sure how - which definitely made for a very welcome change!

and actually, once we did engage in strenuous activity... we went scuba diving! which was so so fun. we saw heaps of fish, a little family of nemos, a couple of sting rays, and loads of other stuff - though unfortunately no sharks... it is safe to say that we had an amazing amazing day, and we were quite sad not to be able to do the full 4 day course, but doing it for the day was fantastic!

sorry this is short, but in true vivienne and iona style we have scheduled a train in about 10 minutes and i for one am not going to risk missing it and staying in this godforsaken place of chumphon (mentioned above) for one second longer than is necessary.

so perhaps we will flesh out this exciting entry some time in the near future. perhaps not. i dont really know.

but until next time (WHEN WE MAY WELL BE IN GREECE - YAY)

much much love,

vivienne (and iona)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOW as we are essentially killing about 16 hours in Bangkok today, im just going to add a hilarious anecdote (i love that word) which really capped off our departure from koh tao and arrival back in the dreaded Chumphon.

basically to get to and from the islands, you get this ferry thing which is altogether not the most exciting thing in the world. BUT to get to and from the ferry at the chumphon end of the journey, there's this really long, entirely dangerous pier, which sort of looks like i may have built it. so imagine that for yourselves.

but yesterday, iona managed to prove the danger of said pier, by overbalancing while carrying all her worldly possessions, as we got off the boat. it was a moment of great hilarity as we both lay on the ground for approx 5 minutes in hysterics until the helpful ferry staff did what perhaps i should have done and helped iona up. we laughed the entire way to chumphon, and let me tell you, it was possibly the most fun we had the entire time we were in chumphon.

Comments

1

To rival your travel torture - some friends caught a train from Shanghai to Urumchi, which took 77 hours (more than 3 days) and they did not get a seat. They ended up being crammed up near the toilet - I think you can imagine the joy.

Love Dad

  Dad Jul 1, 2009 11:25 AM

2

hmmmm ... the Shaghai train toilet story is hard to beat, but I do remember a long train journey from the Malaysia/Thai border to get a ferry to Koh Samui (before planes went there), and having 10+ hours in a carriage with chickens. I should have taken 1st class, maybe they would have had ducks.

Love the stories and the pics. Glad you're having fun.

Keep well.

Antony
x

  Antony Jul 1, 2009 1:15 PM

3

OMG guys!!! im so jealous, i love reading ur blog, and i wish i had taken a gap!!! it sounds so amazing and fun!!! r u goin to greek islands as well??? that wud b sik, wow im just so jealous lol, miss u guys heaps!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxox
mel

ps. u guys look like major babes in ur pic!!

  Mel Jul 5, 2009 3:37 PM

4

I can't believe you guys are staying at that gorgeous looking resort for $20 a night per double!!!

  anna Jul 5, 2009 7:26 PM

About vivienne_and_iona

it got cold

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.