Existing Member?

WT09 your two favourite gap-yearers make their way around the world armed only with a sense of adventure and a photocopied lonely planet guide to the mekong. wish us luck!

Phnom Penh - take two

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 3 June 2009 | Views [813] | Comments [2]

iona and the king - BFFL

iona and the king - BFFL

SO. after we left NHCC on saturday, we headed back into the practical mecca that is Phnom Penh, which was somewhat exciting.

now, we know we've already been to and talked about PP, so we wont bore you with the details, just the super exciting bits so you can feel like you're here with us.

ok. some highlights of the second foray into Phnom Penh were:

- hiring a moto (for the first proper time). we both fitted on the same moto (essentially a motorbike, but small, and about 15 years old) along with the driver, and got laughed at by locals and our driver, who had this funny chuckly laugh that he exhibited every time he performed some sort of dangerous manouvre and we (as moto virgins) may have shrieked a tiny bit.  another highlight of the trip was when vivienne managed very cleverly to scald her ankle on the exhaust pipe (sorry mum for not wearing appropriate clothing).  the burn is blistering nicely, for anyone who was interested. it's VERY attractive.

- the myriad of enormous portraits of the king/president that are absolutely everywhere, especially in somewhat inappropriate places.

- the time iona fell off the chair in our room, because she managed to tip it onto its side - we're still not entirely sure how, to general hilarity. amongst both of us.

- the bus trip from PP to Siem Reap (where we are now) which took 6 hours.  the entertainment for the bus trip was basically khmer karaoke (the quality of which is understandably questionable) and some sort of chinese copy of Charlie Chaplin, which was crap, but that the other people on the bus - mostly cambodian men - thought was absolutely hilarious. we spent most of the time eating biscuits.

so, those are the highlights, but in general we found that PP really grew on us over time and now we love it! so if any of you have a chance to go we highly highly reccommend it. we'll definitely be going back!

more soon when we get time!

love,

Vivienne and Iona

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

1

Hi Viv and Iona. We've been enjoying your stories and hope all is still going well. Just keep those legs off exhaust pipes! Love from all of us here, incl. L. We rae all well this end.

  G. and G. @ Minimbah Jun 4, 2009 4:07 PM

2

Happy 18th birthday to my gorgeous gal! Really hope today is memorable. Enjoy those hot stones and facials ladies - you really deserve it after a month on the road with very little running or hot water or electricity and lots of dawn wake ups! Love you.

  Anna Jun 6, 2009 3:21 PM

About vivienne_and_iona

it got cold

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.