Existing Member?

The world according to Kiwis and Aussies (written by a Pom!) This is about my life in the last 12 months, travelling and seeing the world- or more specifically seeing a small area of South Island NZ ( I'll tell you all about the adventures I've already had cos I've just about finished in NZ now!)and the locals that inhibit this beautiful part of the world...(Don't worry guys I'm talking about the dairy cows as a rule!)

A walk in the park

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 6 March 2007 | Views [597]

I've been in the botanic gardens today, I must have walked 50k's, round and round the penninsula. The gardens were lovely, if a bit noisy, hundreds of fruit bats living in the trees, I thought they'd be sleeping seems how it was daylight but obviously not. And my first yellow crested cockatoo things, also very loud, not good if you've had a hard night. I went for a walk in the australian rainforest section, very nice although I was more than a little paranoid about walking into a spider web! There were some giant ones over some of the paths, with very menacing looking big yellow, grey and black arachnids in the middle of them, probably waiting to catch a low flying fruit bat.

I even saw a totara tree, native to NZ which I never spotted in an entire year over there! And plenty of orchids, cacti, eucalypts and begonias for some odd reason! My Grandad would be proud of how many plants I can still name!

I even had a nice lie down in the park listening to my cd player (I'm not in possesion of an mp3 player of any sort, its on my birthday list...), although I was slightly concerned I'd get attacked by pigeons (not as unlikely as it sounds, read on...) or some smaller biting venomous thing. I do think the grass over here is odd, doesnt look like proper turf, I think its the wrong colour or something.

I stopped for a cup of tea in the gardens cafe, no chairs ooutside so I sat inside, only all doors etc open, so there were birds an things wandering around inside, needless to say a pigeon took advantage of me putting down my tea tray and going for a spoon and some sugar and though it'd have a drink of my milk, Eww!

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About vik


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.