Existing Member?

The world according to Kiwis and Aussies (written by a Pom!) This is about my life in the last 12 months, travelling and seeing the world- or more specifically seeing a small area of South Island NZ ( I'll tell you all about the adventures I've already had cos I've just about finished in NZ now!)and the locals that inhibit this beautiful part of the world...(Don't worry guys I'm talking about the dairy cows as a rule!)

The big chill part 1

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 5 March 2007 | Views [877] | Comments [2]

Sunday 11th June 2006

Did normal farm stuff, we'd just dried off all but 50 of the cows so milking only taking about an hour and a half once a day, the rest of time moving breaks, and feeding out, which basically involved me sitting in the tractor! Not a bad life! The weather was a bit odd, a really warm norwester followed by freaking gales on the runoff that almost knocked me over a good few times! Then it started raining and was still raining when I went to bed...

Monday 12th June 2006

woke up to literally 4ft of snow! You know how you can always tell when its snowed, its deathly quiet and sort of blue reflections especially if its still dark, well it was just like that! I didn't think it was too deep til I saw my boss walking through it up to his waist! There was no power although at that point the phones were still going, so I wentover to the boss's house for a hot breakfast cooked on her log fire before headingn out to see if we could find the cows!

A more immediate problem was finding the fence lines, all completely buried, and getting deeper by the minute! The power was off so we had to try and make sure all the cows were still on the farm, counting and recounting! It was so deep at the runoff we didn't get up there for 2 days!

Tags: Snow

Comments

1

hi there vicki
have been reading up on your travels xciting stuff looks like u had a great time in oz. the pics of the farm and the snow are amazing you sould be on the fairlie tourism board i have enjoyed looking at your site. hope alls well in the uk are you coming back to fairlie do you think, it is starting to get cold here now and the days shorter lets hope no more snow this year aye. anyway had etta get to bed take care of your self and we might see you at the silverstream sometime. hahaha i will have to tel alistar and eileen that your doing your bit for the silverstream on your side of the world haha
take care
kevin shelley and boys

  shelley tierney Apr 24, 2007 8:53 PM

2

hi plese send me answer of following questions
1. Bill Gates is at the top of nearly everyone's of corporate leaders. why?
2. what characteristics make Gates a transformational leader?

  jahid Apr 8, 2008 1:53 AM

About vik


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.