Existing Member?

The world according to Kiwis and Aussies (written by a Pom!) This is about my life in the last 12 months, travelling and seeing the world- or more specifically seeing a small area of South Island NZ ( I'll tell you all about the adventures I've already had cos I've just about finished in NZ now!)and the locals that inhibit this beautiful part of the world...(Don't worry guys I'm talking about the dairy cows as a rule!)

First Impressions

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 4 March 2007 | Views [477]

I'm trying to fill in time before I go to the airport, and got to thinking about life in NZ...

When I first got here life was great, I got picked up from the airport, and tried (and mostly failed) to stay awake and make intelligent conversation with my new employers- not that easy when you've been on planes for over 24 hours have watched countless crappy movies and been force fed airline food every three hours! However I do remember seeing the giant salmon at Rakaia, and then all is a blur until I saw Kevin and Shelleys mail box and the beautiful mountains literally a stones throw away... There is no better view in the world, as far as I know.

I saw the cows almost straight away, you'd think you could lose them quite easily on over 260 ha, but it appears 800 kinda stick out! Black, white and lots of gorgeous Jersey colours! And the central irrigator (known to all as the pivot) was just amazing, 20 bays about 50m long each, makes for a 1km pivot, and thats only the radius, so the diameter of the farm was over 2k's, thats just crazy! You don't get farms that big in England very often!

I had a good meal went to bed and woke up after 12 hours sleep feeling fantastic- no jetlag for me! (I'll probably get it on the way back thou...)

There's not much else to say about the first couple of months, I got up at 4.20 every morning, went to bed at 7.30 and worked my arse off during the day, life didn't really get interesting till the end of May...

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About vik


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.