Existing Member?

The world according to Kiwis and Aussies (written by a Pom!) This is about my life in the last 12 months, travelling and seeing the world- or more specifically seeing a small area of South Island NZ ( I'll tell you all about the adventures I've already had cos I've just about finished in NZ now!)and the locals that inhibit this beautiful part of the world...(Don't worry guys I'm talking about the dairy cows as a rule!)

End of days...

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 3 March 2007 | Views [427]

So this is all slightly new to me and also slightly backwards, its my last day in New Zealand and my first post, go figure! I thought I'd tell you all about my adventures as I can remember them, so we'll start with my last days at the dairy farm...

I've been working for Howard since October on and off just to give him a bit of time off. He has 440 cows and I can now recognise about half of them, but only by thier udders!! So here are some things I've learnt since I started there..

322/ 127 take forever to milk, you're always waiting for them to finish before you change over

162 is such a cute little heifer, never complains, and reminds me of Toadie from Neighbours (for no good reason!)

642 and 634 I always get mixed up

141 and 161 are always the last cows to come in from down the paddock

81 would rather stand still then move ever

I love Brown swiss, same size as a friesian, colours of Jersey and the sweetest natures, especially 188, 580 and Everyones favourite 86 (Rapsu)

576 got mastitis in her FR and now her FL latest is shes for MCDonalds

29 was a beautiful blue roany shorthorn type, but had mastitis almost every week and is probably at burger king by now... 

If its hot they'd rather stand in a very hot shed with a metal roof than go outside to a nice day and a light breeze (little buggers!)

If the wind is blowing over the hills from NW they dont want to go into or get out of shed

If they know Howard isn't working they'll play up, just because they can!

Thats about it for now, next time i'll tell you all about my leaving party and the thousands of tissues and glasses of wine I went through!

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About vik


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.