Existing Member?

Waves without borders Travelling in search of perfect waves

Sunday Chill day

USA | Tuesday, 22 July 2014 | Views [274]

Sunday as everyone knows is a day of rest.

Given the cankle I decided I should heed this and relax so planned a lie in bed followed by a chill day and a really relaxing yoga class in the evening..............

I managed the lie in more or less. By that I mean I woke up at 8.00 and messed around on the laptop in bed until 10, I felt this was pretty good for me!! But then I really needed a cup of tea so I had to hit the streets of Venice (and no I'm not in Italy!). The farmers market was on on Main Street, Venice, Santa Monica so first stop Organic coffee and a very fresh berry juice on the market. Then I felt as I was 'chilling' my next stop should be the beach for a little body surf. I was worried I'd perhaps created a scene, getting thrashed around arse over tit in the shore break, when I saw the otherwise idle beach lifeguards charging into the water towards me. However I soon realised it was for the 2 VERY LA style girls flaying around in the sea nearby. Either the lifeguards wanted to demonstrate their abilities as Mitch to these potential Pamela's or a really life threatening incident occurred (such as a burst silicone implant) but either way it couldn't have been that serious in waist deep water and I certainly didn't see any sharks around!!

After all tht excitement I figured I was on a roll with my 'non chilling' so decided to hit up the Santa Monica pier theme park for further kicks and a ride on the roller coaster. It wasn´t exactly mast high wave thrills or indeed even waist high adrenaline but never the less mild entertainment for the afternoon.

Next up the Lonely Planet guide suggested to me I should take a stroll along the promenade where upon I encountered the most incredible street dancing show (check the video link if it works). I can honestly say it was really impressive and the guy on the mic was hysterical. I heard someone comment that only in LA would you get something like this, and I must agree because as I wandered off I nearly tripped over a massive iguana wandering along the pavement followed by a husky sat quite happily on the pannier rack of a motorcycle just cruising down the boulevard. FYI A 'Boulevard´ is not a park but a really large street. In LA it seems to consist of around 6 lanes so realistically more like a motorway hence when you look on google maps it all looks so close until you attempt to walk it. Trust me I´m now an expert at this and learning quickly to drive and suck up that the parking is an awful part of the experience!!

 OK sorry I can´t work out how to upload the video, I did manage to upload 3 of the ones I took to Vimeo so you can go there to check it out instead.......https://vimeo.com/user10975643

About vickey84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.