Existing Member?

Waves without borders Travelling in search of perfect waves

The answer is not 42 it's Brownies and wine!!

USA | Sunday, 20 July 2014 | Views [305]

Cankles I woke up this morning feeling pretty bummed.

I mean I do enjoy my own company and all that shit but something's really are better with someone else, like Ferris wheels on the pier, exploring new cities and restaurants at night.

On top of this, I woke up today with a huge fat ankle, supportingly referred to as my cankle by a darling brother. Thus I faced the prospect of a ´REST´day, out of necessity.

After a rousing pep talk I decided the only course of action to lift my spirits was to head on over to Malibu and check out the surf. I was still on the blue side when I hit Malibu pier, despite it being super cool. But post organic strawberries with scotch pancakes and Fresh OJ at the pier farmhouse cafe I entered the pier surf shop only to find THE ACTUAL Gidget hanging out (with her crazy stripy knee high socks) signing books. For any surf chick out there, Gidget (a TV series from the 60´s) is THE original female surf icon and accredited inspiration behind the 60´s surf craze. One signed book later & I was back on the flip side of life, the sun shining and sea sparkling.

Signed by the lady herself

 

Time to call up some camp-sites and reserve my space for the coming weeks on the road................... ehhherrr, ´I´m sorry Maam we´re fully booked until October'. Hmmmm SHIT so much for my winging it masterplan. It would appear that Americans like to take their summer holidays camping along the Californian coast, bugger.

You know what bollocks to convention I shall just rock up at the beach & sleep in my SUV post surf, that´s what Gidget does for you. Yes I know I'm a female travelling on my own but that doesn't make me disabled. Women are perfectly capable/ strong and determined human beings and we shouldn't be scared by the conventional societal preconceptions that we are weak and must be pampered/ molly cuddled and wrapped up in cotton wool. So screw yourselves 'reserve America', if you don't have room for one small tent in your enormous state parks I shall live the stereotypical surfer life out of my truck...........eat, sleep, surf, repeat.

Well just for a few days as in honesty after my whimsical determination the desire for an actual mattress found within the confines of 4 real walls proved to be too strong and I found a great place on Airbnb in Encinitas San Diego for the end of the month.

Back home with the cankle on ice my current airbnb host recommended an excellent place to eat down town, so after the camp site blow I decided I should pamper myself a little with great food. LSS (long story short) I marched around the city for a good 50mins to find a packed restaurant full of starry eyed couples threw my teddies out of the pram and was on my way home to sulk when I came across a lovely looking restaurant and sat down to indulge.

In conclusion the answer to life the universe and everything is actually a huge chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream accompanied by a sumptuous Cabernet Sauvignon/ Syrah Blend from the Napa valley. Oh and it doesn´t hurt to start with a delicious cauliflower, almond and Jalapeno pesto dish alongside baked tomatoes in balsamic glaze with organic cornbread.

 

About vickey84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.