Existing Member?

Waves without borders Travelling in search of perfect waves

Travel mares and First Impressions

USA | Saturday, 19 July 2014 | Views [293]

Bay Street view

'Well wouldn´t you know it I´m still in Spain'

Family update on my travel to let them know how it's going, in this instance not very well. In fact it went from totally chilled into travel chaos in the blink of an eye or the 2minute walk from the drop off to the check in counter. It turns out the flight was delayed by 2.5hrs and seemingly everyone heading to America has a connecting flight, thus the poor check in staff were busily trying to re-route and rebook well over 50% of the passengers so 3hrs later and a run to the gate and I was ready to get on the plane. Still from my perspective it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I apparently made one of the biggest travelling faux pas, flying into one city airport and leaving from another across the city (which in this instance only happened to be New frikin York!) WHOOPSS!! A long story short upon arrival into Newark the lovely lady got me onto the next available flight to LAX which as a bonus left just 30mins after my original scheduled flight and out of the airport in which I arrived. Despite almost missing this flight due to American Security I finally landed into LAX 30mins behind schedule with my bag following along an hour later (clearly it didn't run as fast as I did!!).  

This time in LAX I had the airport sussed and easily managed to find the rental car shuttle. At this stage I was beyond tired and so it was I experienced my first business exchange in the US........seriously they can sell you everything and more, plus tax. Not only that but they employ sneaky tactics in this instance I was seriously sidetracked trying to work out if the huge breasted massively plumbed up red lipped sales person was male or female so I ended up with insurance up to me ears BUT I did have the where withal to decline the extra little special make up mirror (seriously). 

And so it was I found myself driving around in my SUV cruising down town into Santa Monica, just 3 blocks from the pier and Venice beach. I was particularly pleased with myself for not getting lost and managing to park (which here is actually a miracle and I now understand the comment 'feed the metre' WHICH does not give you a ticket just in case any of you are as stupid as me standing there looking blanky at it until some passer by felt sorry for me....oooppsss TOURIST ALERT).

The Condo

Anyway the place I found is really the cutest little wooden condo and right in yoga central with studios everywhere not to mention 15mins drive from Malibu beach and the host is so kind and helpful suggesting all sorts of places to visit, classes to take and even inviting me to his BBQ last night. So yes I´ve been totally cliché walking down the broad walk from Santa Monica pier to Venice beach, picking up my organic protein shake post yoga class (or so far 3classes and its day 2!!) Tonight I´'ve planned a yoga Barre class and then there's a concert on Santa Monica pier, whilst tomorrow looks like I can pick up my equipment from customs (finally) and go surf Malibu.

California dreaming baby, ride on ;-)

 Random Painted Boots

About vickey84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.