Existing Member?

Waves without borders Travelling in search of perfect waves

Adieu Santa Monica

USA | Wednesday, 23 July 2014 | Views [425] | Comments [2]

Rawvolution

So it´s been a week since I left Barcelona for the wild unknown of America.

I gave myself a week based in Santa Monica to get my feet under me and I've managed to achieve that and more. I chose Santa Monica because it is one of the best places for yoga in America, in fact the world spawning some of the best teachers out there. I´ve tried to take as many classes as possible and have met and practised under some phenomenal teachers such as Vytas, Liz Arch and oof course my favourite Kathryn Budig at the yogaglo studio(www.vytasyoga.com , www.lizarch.com , www.yogaglo.com for those ever in the area). I've also tried to expand my horizons and taken some classes I wouldn't normally have even considered …......yep seriously last night I found myself doing some weird pelvic thrusting motions to kirtan music but you know what, after I got over feeling totally ridiculous it actually felt pretty good and I noticed pain in areas of my body I thought had healed (apparently my lower sacrum still aches from falling off the horse last year). I even meditated, yep me, I sat still for a whole entire 30minutes doing nothing but breathing and was surprised to find it felt good, Yes Dad I can hear you now and just so you know nobody likes an ´I told you so´ moment. 

In addition to just yoga, Santa Monica is also the health food hub of LA and I´ve gorged myself on Organic this and Raw food that. I have absolutely no issues with this although some would refer to it as hippy food. But me, I love dried kale chips, they taste great even if they have a tendency to come out as whole leaves just as they go in. I´ve had amazing RAW food Jalapeno peppers stuffed with almond paste, tried organic cornbread, slurped super charged smoothies with all sorts of weird protein concoctions and random vegetables in them that are supposed to be good for you. I think my favourite was probably the cauliflower, jalapeno pesto and hazelnut dish (not a smoothie that really would have been weird!). 

Finally I've met some incredible people and I must give a big heartfelt thanks to my airbnb host Tony, aka 'RAD Uncle'. I arrived here very apprehensive about my travels and he instantly put my mind at ease, welcomed me into his home and gave me the 101 on his town, places to eat and best of all yoga teachers to check out. One of the best parts about travelling is the people you meet and Rad Uncle you rock. He's a super cool dude, seriously, he travelled across America (and around Germany during the last world cup) staying with and interviewing some of the biggest American football fans for a documentary. He also travelled India and Brazil for lengthy periods not to mention he LOVES food, surfing, yoga and tea. Hence we had lot's to talk about and he made me feel so much more confident in this decision to travel California for the next 5months.

Airbnb The Soul Surfer Bungalow on Bay Street 5*´s !!

 

I´ve loved Santa Monica but now it´s time to bid Adieu to the city and cruise down the coast for some surf and beach camping.

Comments

1

I thought you yoga masters were supposed to be able to sit still for 30 minutes without breathing!

  Jambo Jul 26, 2014 6:00 AM

2

Ha Ha no that´s meditation experts.........I seem to struggle with that aspect of life!!

  vickey84 Jul 26, 2014 11:31 AM

About vickey84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.