Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Transported

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 1 December 2010 | Views [431]

You know that weird feeling you get when you’re in a movie theater, like the outside world doesn’t exist beyond the screen in front of you? When the movie is over you walk back into the mall and need a minute to realize when and where you are? It can be a real mind trip, especially when you’re in a foreign country.

On account of a rainy day, my plans for outdoor activities in San Jose were canceled. So, my friend Elizabeth and I hopped on a bus to MultiPlaza Escazu to check out the mall and go see a movie. Immediately after entering the mall I felt like I had just been transported back to the states, and it brought an overwhelming sentiment of home sickness. Except for the Latin music over the radio, this could have been any mall in any state in the US. Actually, it could have been any high end mall in the US. Three floors with beautiful white tile and Christmas decorations to set the holiday mood. Super fancy stores epitomized by the jewelry section with Cartier and Tiffany’s. Walking around the mall it was hard to remember that we were in Costa Rica, especially when we passed the food court which had McDonald’s, Burger King, Quiznos, KFC, Papa John’s, TCBY and Haagan Daz.

But get this - the movie ticket and a large popcorn each cost 1,300 colones, making my tab a grand $5.20 for my movie going experience. We watched our movie, which was in English with Spanish subtitles. It was strange to think that for so many people, their movies are either dubbed or have subtitles that you have to read just to follow along. We American’s are really quite spoiled, though I have to admit that after being in the jungle with dangerous creatures, having cuts and scabs finally progressing into scars from bug bites and unexplained rashes, a mall was a nice change of pace.

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.