Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Full Circle

COSTA RICA | Sunday, 28 November 2010 | Views [434]

One of the main justifications for this trip and its timing was that I may never have the chance to do something like this again (though meeting tons of travelers along the way – I’m not sure I believe that anymore). Either way, I feel that this is likely my last trip to Costa Rica. Why?! Did I not enjoy my time here? Actually, my last three months have been incredible, matching or surpassing my previous two life-changing experiences here. But that’s just it. It’s tired. This is my third trip to the rich coast and I feel that if I am going to travel again it’s going to be another country so I can broaden my cultural horizons. That said, there was something I had to do before I made my way back to the states this time. I wanted to complete the circle and visit the place it all started back in 2002.

When I was an undergraduate student at Muhlenberg College, I took a 19 day trip to Costa Rica with Professors Richard Niesenbaum and Tammy Lewis. Although the end of our trip brought us to tourist attractions like the Arenal Volcano and Monteverde, we spent most of our time in the town of Las Juntas de Abangares. If you didn’t know, that was the trip that helped to shape the next eight years of my life. Before our departure for the states, Dr. Niesenbaum asked if I would be interested in working in his laboratory group back at Muhlenberg. Before I knew it I was conducting research for the first time, and intended to undertake my own project for a senior thesis. On to graduate school to learn more about plant-insect interactions,… Master of Science…, Doctor of Philosophy… and here I am!

So, after packing up from Montezuma and saying goodbye to my friends Katrina and Dalton, I headed back across the Nicoya peninsula via bus, across the Nicoya bay via ferry, and headed northwest to Abangares. I asked the driver to tell me when we arrived in Las Juntas (remember the Mastatal trip?), but I didn’t even need him to tell me. As we pulled in I recognized the town square, Los Mangos restaurant and the church. What a comforting and exciting feeling to know I’ve been here before. After finding a place to stay and taking a much needed shower, I made my way into town. I couldn’t believe how much I remembered! I knew exactly where I was from the moment I saw the Miner’s monument. I found the Chinese restaurant that made for a memorable night, the soccer field and the bridge across the river, and of course Los Mangos. Truth is, I was meant to be here this day. In the town square was some kind of festival, which featured a guy singing cover songs of merengue, cumbia and romantica, with two backup girl dancers. Children were running around, dancing and having a great time – and parents were doing the same (except the running around part). Without a doubt I was the only gringo in the whole crowd (likely the whole town), but no one seemed to care beyond the double glance to make sure they saw what they thought. Tomorrow I have big plans to walk around all day, trying to find where we stayed all those years ago and to take new pictures of old memories. In the afternoon I will visit with Carlos and Elliette, the couple that run Mina Tours and organize trips for Muhlenberg College. But for now, looking at my travel alarm clock that I bought for my first trip to Costa Rica and is here in Las Juntas again, I realize that it is time for me to rest comfortably under this rotating fan and catch some shuteye.

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.