Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Season of Change

COSTA RICA | Sunday, 31 October 2010 | Views [367]

Halloween and the season of change make for my favorite time of year. A landscape full of oranges and reds, pumpkins for carving, apples for picking, cooler days and the smell of wood-burning stoves. And Halloween… whoa! I mean, scary movies on the tele, people in costumes, parties, trick or treating and candy… the BEST!

Alas, here I am in Costa Rica where there may be some costumes for the American holiday, but certainly no changing leaves or a television to watch scary movies. And so we improvise! My Halloween in Manuel Antonio was different, no doubt, but geez was it awesome. Mike and I decided to rent a surfboard for the day ($10 total from 9am to 5pm), and took turns braving the waves. Having surfed before, Mike was a pretty good instructor and I actually got to standing on that board a couple of times! We spent a long day on the beach surfing, soaking up sun and playing in the sand. In OCTOBER!

Late afternoon we went back to our hostel, cleaned up a bit and headed back down to town. At the grocery store we bought some snacks and made our way to the beach to enjoy a sunset over the pacific. Pinks, blues and oranges filled the sky as the sun slowly dipped into the ocean. Conversation was light as we all marveled at this spectacular event that happens daily, yet still inspires so much wonder and emotion.

After a quick dinner, stop number four at the grocery in one day (this time for candy), we headed back to the hostel. In the room I share with Gabby and Meghan (and Coral for one night), we all piled in and watched “Identity,” a psychological thriller, on my computer. This was bought, along with 7 other movies on a single DVD for the low-low price of $3. Certainly not the Halloween of years gone by, but definitely one to remember.

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.