Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Uninspired

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 21 September 2010 | Views [271] | Comments [3]

The last two days have been pretty labor intensive. Yesterday Alan and I planted about 375 grass plugs in a pasture for the cows, and today we moved soil and rocks to create a parking area for Phil’s large machines. Dinner was delightful as always, and with afternoon rains there was no opportunity for adventure. Another beautiful day in paradise, but really nothing to write home about. I spent some time this evening writing in my journal, but heavy eyes hit as well as the realization that tomorrow brings an intense hike with Marcos and the crew to put up signs and mark the borders of the property. I got ready for bed, and decided that I should put my alarm clock on the opposite side of the room so I actually get up when it goes off. My thought process was this: if I have to jump out of bed in the morning, I should probably make sure there is nothing on the floor that I might step on. With the rest of the room clear, I looked under my bed and saw a brown lump in the corner. “That stupid cat pooped under my bed!” I thought as I went in for a closer look. Only then did I realize that the brown pile had texture… and a pattern. HOLY CRAP! I moved away slowly, instantly recognizing that the brown lump was in fact a young fur-de-lance that had come in under the front door. Snakes, I hate snakes. I woke up Alan, who bravely came to my rescue and got the little guy in a bucket. Alan has no problem with snakes, and joked with me to an uncomfortable level telling me the snake got away from him and was lost in my room. Then he proceeded to cross the fine line between bravery and stupidity as he took close up photos of the snake. While the locals and Phil would all kill a fur-de-lance, Alan affirmed that all creatures have a right to live, and that he was going to let the snake go in the morning. Now, after pulling apart my whole room, reassembling my bed and checking all spaces for snakes, I am having trouble sleeping. I set up a three foot piece of fibrillate in front my bedroom door to prevent any future creepy crawlies, but certainly that is not calming my nerves. And to think, earlier this evening I was uninspired to write.

Comments

1

Wow I am impressed you were able to go to sleep after that. Good job Matt! =)

  meghan Sep 25, 2010 12:48 AM

2

You should really see the look on my face right now ... especially since I've seen your (over)reaction to a harmless garter snake ... Oh. My. God.

  Erin Sep 25, 2010 2:21 AM

3

I'm right there with buddy, I HATE snakes, sounds like you're having a good time!

  Robin Sep 26, 2010 1:25 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.