Existing Member?

Pommie Travels the World Victoria is a blogger who has been travelling the world solo since 2008.

IN SEARCH OF THE GREAT WHITE SHARK!!!

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 15 March 2010 | Views [2307]

After a whole lot of fun swimming with sea lions we prepared to face the ultimate predator of the ocean, the Great White Shark!

We arrived into the Harbour at 6am to board the Calypso Star boat with a couple of Kilkennys and a few tablets to prevent sleeping sickness. We heard the ocean gets a bit choppy out there and the rocking motion of the boat makes you feel a little bit nautious!

We were joined on board by boxing champion Danny Green- I had no idea who he was but the reporter from the local news with the big TV camera sort of gave it away!

Danny was the first person to turn Green (like my pun?) and was vomiting over the side of the boat. Not long after a few other people started throwing up but Trent and I could sit there smugly after a few Travelcalm!

When we finally anchored up the crew threw the tuna bait in the water, lowered the shark cage and it was game on! Everyone relaxed a bit, stopped hurling off the side of the boat, got the fishing rods out and did a spot of fishing. We caught plenty of fish but there were no white pointers to be seen!

We waited...and waited.

Trent got into the shark cage for a swim with no wetsuit on so many times that he was starting to look blue!

They let us all have a dive in the cage and one man proposed to his girlfriend underwater. Awww. He held up a sign whilst they were underwater saying "Will you marry me" and she said yes! Everyone on the boat was in on it but she had no idea. After the event she said she wasn't quite sure if he was joking until she came up to the surface and everyone was clapping.

The cage itself is creepy without the sharks being in the water as you look out at the bait with all the fish swimming around it.

The crew prepared us an amazing lunch of oysters, mussels, prawns, chicken, salad...we were fed really well on the boat and on the way back there was free beers!!! The engagement was an excuse for a little party on the top deck with everyone drinking a few West End Draughts and having a good time.

So there were no great whites but everyone had an awesome experience- great food, great day out on the water, great people, a proposal and a boxer.

Back in the marina everyone including Danny Green and his crew stopped for a few drinks and pizzas and bonded over the events of the day! One of the highlights of our trip.

Tags: calypso star, danny green, great white sharks, port lincoln, shark cage diving, sharks, south australia, trent, vantastic, victoria

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.