Existing Member?

Pommie Travels the World Victoria is a blogger who has been travelling the world solo since 2008.

THRILLS, SPILLS AND KILLS ON KANGAROO ISLAND

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 5 March 2010 | Views [2655] | Comments [2]

On our last few days on Kangaroo Island we went sandboarding, kayaking and night fishing! Sandboarding is so much fun but believe us when we say you'll be finding sand in places you never knew sand could get for weeks after you hit the dunes! We went to Little Sahara and nearly passed out in the heat trying to climb up that steep sand dune!

We then took kayaks down to the river and had a leisurely cruise in the afternoon sunshine. We stopped for a couple of breaks along the river bank so that Trent could play with the Kangaroos and admire the trees (Trent really likes the Kangaroo Island tree, the Black Boy). On the way back we were paddling along when we spotted a snake on a tree branch. The Dutch Boys were kayaking by when all of a sudden it launched itself at their kayak! The snake had clearly been trying to hitch a ride for a while and looked a bit pieved that it missed its chance! At least we avoided a couple of snake bites and a trip to hospital.

We visited Hanson Bay Koala Wildlife Sanctuary and stayed the night in their lovely homestead playing some snooker on their billiards table and the boys went on the koala nocturnal tour whilst I caught up on some video making.

On our last night on Kangaroo Island we were fortunate enough to go and stay with Wallaby Bob, a local who says "With a name like Wallaby Bob I can get away with things." Bob was up for a laugh and pretended to fillet a fish with a chainsaw for our video! We slept the night in his beautiful home at Baudin Beach and we were made to feel so welcome. It wasn't like a tour but more like relaxing at a friends house and swapping stories. We enjoyed beers and Trent and the dutchies put their war paint on to go spear fishing! Bob cooked us an amazing fish supper on the BBQ- best fish I've ever had! I had a fever so unfortunately I couldnt go spear fishing but the boys came back with plenty of fish for a fish breakfast the following day! It was one of the highlights of our trip!

Tags: australia, fishing, itinerary, kangaroo island, kayaking, oz, sandboarding, south australia, touring, travel

Comments

1

An exceptional amalgamation of picturesque vistas, strenuous adventures, palatable seafood, and assorted wildlife is how ‘Kangaroo Island’ can be defined in few words. For more information visit http://www.travelaustralia360.com/the-unsurpassed-blend-of-kangaroo-island.html

  Donna Mar 19, 2010 12:27 AM

2

The Cockatoos Calyptorhynchus lathami are in addition acknowledged to make use of this park. A number of chewings that are left as of the feeding activity are easily found within the Sheoak community. All through the recent years all of these cockatoos have and been scrutinized close to Deep Creek Conservation Park that is been located on Fleurieu Peninsula, moreover is a component of their previous series.
http://www.wildlifeworld360.com/baudin-conservation-park-kangaroo-island.html

  Jehnavi Jun 4, 2010 8:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.