Existing Member?

Pommie Travels the World Victoria is a blogger who has been travelling the world solo since 2008.

ROBE: LIVING IN LUXURY, FLYING HIGH AND DIVING FOR ABALONE

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 8 February 2010 | Views [2341]

Hi guys!

We finally crossed the South Australia border and left Geoff the Van in the parking lot to stay in an 1880s manor house in Robe. He's feeling a little bit lonely but this YHA is the best we've ever stayed in. Lakeside Manor has a TV room which used to be a ballroom, a spa, a kitchen with an old-style stove, a library and grapes and apples growing outside! We even had a 13 bed dorm all to ourselves complete with fireplace!

We've had an awesome time in Robe; in exchange for Trent cutting the grass on the air strip and washing the helicopter, we had a helicopter flight with Limestone Coast Helicopters and a thrilling ride in a Tiger Moth!

Christos our pilot made sure Trent earned his flight by giving the helicopter a good old clean and a polish and wiping the bird poo off the blades. We soared over the limestone coastline and had a beautiful aerial view of the white sand beaches.

Next up I put on my goggles and took a thrilling flight in a Tiger Moth whilst Trent got in the tractor and did some slashing on the runway! As we took off I couldn't help but hope my seatbelt was done up tightly...

When the engine cut out I braced myself....aaaaahhhh! Loop the loops and spiraling towards the ground was the best thrill I ever had, probably even better than skydiving!

Trent's been making friends with the locals again and went diving for abalone with Shane (or Shano as Trent likes to call him, why is it that Australians have to put an 'O' on the end of every name?). Abalone is a rare, expensive shellfish and looks a bit like a gigantic mussel and tastes a bit like calamari. Yum!

We've also made friends with some cool Dutchies, Pascal and Iwan, and since their car is pretty much screwed, we'll be helping them get to Adelaide, so look out for them in our videos!

Tags: road trip, robe, south australia, trent, van, vantastic, victoria, world nomads

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.