Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

A Night With The Masai

TANZANIA | Saturday, 6 October 2018 | Views [150]

Welcome to Olpopongi Masai Village

Welcome to Olpopongi Masai Village

THE MASAI DON’T ACTUALLY LIVE AT THE OLPOPONGI MASAI Cultural Center.  Only wasungu like us sleep in the pitch-dark, mud-wattle rondavals. There are no windows and no electricity except in the bar area and the bathrooms, only kerosene lanterns in the village.  Getting into our bed, a sleeping bag on a camp mattress, was like climbing into a pizza oven.  

nn

    The only stars for these room were in the African sky!

We were greeted in the proper Masai fashion with song and dance, which both Becky and Andrea joined in.  After an introduction to the “villagers” and a beer, we gathered in the museum for a lesson in Masai life — everything from diet (cow’s blood) and dress to ritual circumcision, 18 for males and 14 for girls, a topic they addressed so matter-of-factly that even Candace, a pediatrician, was left speechless!

n     nn

   Masai Women's Dance                     Traditional Men's Dance

Dinner was surprisingly good — a not at all Masai barbeque — around a blazing fire under the awesome African stars.  Purchase of trinkets was highly encouraged as was generous tipping.  Omari apologized to Connie — this isn’t our thing — but he rightfully contended it would be a hit for the others.  

https://s3.amazonaws.com/aphs.worldnomads.com/vagabonds3/57866/AndreaandBeckyjointhedance.jpg

    Dancing Queens

Becky and Andrea raved about the experience and even participated in the dancing  This morning everyone but Becky went for a Masai-led morning birding walk.  In the pre-dawn darkness, Andrea mistakenly locked Becky in their rondaval!

n 

     Where's Becky?

 

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.