Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Amani Biosphere Reserve and Mkomazi NP

TANZANIA | Thursday, 4 October 2018 | Views [135]

Tons of fun

Tons of fun

AMANI NATURE CENTER IS A UNESCO BIOSPHERE RESERVE at the end of a truly horrendous road in extreme NE Tanzania.  We have a no frills,  “one-bulb” room (when the electricity is working) but the food is good and there seems to be hot water.  The birding promises to be good, too.  We were out before breakfast with local guide, Martin, searching for the Reserve’s six endemics —  this is a new part of Tanzania for us, too.  

bb

   Birds of a Feather — Silver-cheeked Hornbills

Our first sighting was the silver-cheeked hornbill, endemic to NE Tanzania and nearby Kenya and quite common, if the two dozen we saw are any indication.  Our total before breakfast was 45 species, ten new ones for Connie which put her Life List over 5000, and we added another 14 before lunch.  Only Connie and I joined Martin and Omari after lunch to search for the endemic long-tailed tailor bird, a managed success species for Amani. It wasn't much of a search — Maritn had everything but the bird's apartment number and it came willingly to his call.

nn

   Long-tailed tailorbird, worth the effort

Connie and I first met 25 years ago — before computer dating — through a personal ad and it is an anniversary we continue to celebrate.  Unbeknownst to us, Omari arranged for a traditional wedding party last night with local musicians playing a wooden marimba, various drums, chant-singing and a never-ending circle dance.  We did a  little jitterbug but left soon after the sugar-cane wine (vintage early afternoon) came out.  

mm

  25 Years — Something to dance about (Omari's the guy who looks like Sachmo)

As I write this, Becky and Andrea, belles-of-the-ball, are still out there, much to Candace’s diamay, I’m sure.  It was one hell of a day and one we will long remember thanks to Omari's thoughtfulness. 

Everyone seems to have survived last night’s festivities.  We hope that eventually everyone can get their morning routines together so we can leave on time.  Connie contends that you add 5 minutes to the departure time for each person more than two in the group.  There was minimal birding on the six-hour drive to Mkomazi National Park, about halfway back to Arusha.  We dropped our luggage at the Elephant Hotel where we scored a suite (Shhh! Don’t tell.)  Then we were off to the Park for the beginning of the REAL safari.  

bb

 

     Secretary Bird

Sure there was more birding.  Tim doesn’t seem much interested in the animals — just birds — but Becky more than makes up for it.  We saw 54 birds, including a couple of secretary birds.  On the animal side, there were plenty of

b     

  Masai Giraffe                                     Zebras

  

bb     

    Hartebeeste                                    Impala

bb     bb

    Warthog                                          Cape Buffalo

And Monkeys with babies on board

bb     nn

  Vervet Monkey                                 Olive Baboon

 

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.