Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Tarangire National Park

TANZANIA | Monday, 8 October 2018 | Views [174]

Crowned Crane and Egyptian Geese

Crowned Crane and Egyptian Geese

IT’S A LONG DRIVE FROM ARUSHA TO TARANGIRE SAFARI CAMP.  We took a break at an un-named lake in Masai country where Omari had to charm the women collecting water by explaining we were birding, not taking photos of them — which was mostly true.  The highlight at the lake were the crowned cranes, national bird of Uganda  All in all, we saw 100 species. 15 new for the trip and 6 lifers for Connie.

b

    Tarangire Safari Camp, Luxury in the Wild

Tarangire Safari Camp is luxurious, something Hemingway himself would approve.  Our deluxe safari tent, Chui (leopard in Swahili) has hardwood floors, a king bed, full-bath with rain shower, drinking water and ample lighting.  We are 300 meters from the main lodge and dining area, both a curse and a blessing.  Unfortunately we had to leave just after sunrise to give us enough time to do the park justice.  

vv     bb

  Time for a drink ...                             and a mud bath

This is one of Omari’s favorite park — and ours, too.  We saw all the expected antelope species, hippos, black-backed jackals and even a pride of lions.  The big prize, something Tarangiri is noted for were the elephants.  We lost count at 200 which is only a fraction of the 2800 Tarangire claims.  They were on the road and in the forest but most were in the marsh where matriarch-led herds took turns drinking and splashing.

bb

     Splishin' and Splashin'

Most of our time was spent in Omari’s 8-passenger Land Cruiser.  There was ample room for everyone but we all craved a chance to stretch our legs.  Other than a brief lunch stop under an acacia tree — where you could be on the menu if you were careless — the only place where getting out is OK is Poacher’s Hide, a hollow baobab tree that legend says is where poachers once hid out and stashed their ivory.  We went inside on last time we were here.  If they knew how silly they looked crawling out, none of the others would have gone inside.

 bb     bb

    Alfresco lunch                                  Andrea exits Poacher's Hide

Birdwise, we recorded 37 new species and a totla of 107 for the day.  Even Tim was impressed.  He filled his wish-list for the trip — ground hornbill, African fish-eagle, saddle-bill stork, bataleur eagle and an otherwise unimpressive pratincole. 

bb     bb

    Ground Hornbill                              African Fish-Eagle

We left the park just before the 6PM closing and still had 90 minutes of driving to Eileen’s Safari Lodge, our jumping off spot for Lake Manyara.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.