Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Home Sweet Home

USA | Thursday, 26 November 2015 | Views [345]

Livin' it up in 240 square feet of freedom

Livin' it up in 240 square feet of freedom

THANKSGIVING DAY AND WE ARE SNUG and warm in our new RV, despite the snowy and cold weather.  Two hundred forty square feet may not seem like much to those of you living in your McMansions but after nearly five years of hotel rooms, it is positively spacious.  And we have all the comforts of “home” — queen bed, bathroom with shower, three-burner stove with oven, fridge, microwave and an island sink.  There is a dining nook that seats four and a loveseat.  Plenty of storage, too.

m     n

    Queen bed                                          Modern kitchen

Deciding what to buy wasn’t easy and we went round and round before deciding on this one.  For the uninitiated, there are three options for full-time RVers, those like us who plan to live on the road.  Class A motorhomes that look like tour buses, Class C motorhomes that look like storage sheds on a van body, and Fifth-wheel trailers like ours that attach to the bed of a pick-up truck.  Both Class A and Class C motorhomes require and additional vehicle towed behind — you wouldn’t want to drive the bus to the grocery store — but finding the right “toad” isn’t easy, or cheap.  We finally decided on the 5th wheel because it requires only one motor vehicle, in our case a Keystone Cougar X-Lite which is designed to be pulled by a half-ton pick-up.  No need for a noisy, polluting diesel.

mm

    Home on wheels

We are on the very bottom of the RVer learning curve and we will make (and probably already have made) mistakes.  The first is camping through the coldest weather of the season, 8º tonight, but John has a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday, so we haven’t hooked up our water and aren’t using our toilet.  That will have to wait for Arizona.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.