Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Ken and Dee's Excellent Adventure: Normandy and Versailles

FRANCE | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [328]

American Cemetery at Normandy

American Cemetery at Normandy

DEE FORTIFIED HERSELF FOR THE DRIVE ahead with a breakfast chocolate eclair in Amiens, not caring too much about the Notre Dame Cathedral.  The American Cemetery at Normandy, after all, was one of their target destinations.  It was a beautiful day for a long drive and we reached Normandy just after lunch.  Everyone has a personal reaction to the row upon row of white crosses sprinkled here and there with a Star of David — I know I did — but I don’t know what our taciturn relatives felt.  I am sure they were moved as all Americans are.

m

   American Cemetery 

Connie and I have been making lodging reservations as we go but I never realized how many times we have booked “the last available room” until now.  There are still plenty of nice places to stay but few with everything we require and two rooms, especially near Normandy.  We ended up two absolutely wonderful apartments in a senior living facility, a first even for us.  

,,,

    Palace of Versailles

The fifty mile drive to Versailles in the morning wasn’t as bad as I imagined it would be, but the line to get in was daunting.  Connie and I hadn’t visited since 2001 and it was almost like the first time for us too.  The place was packed and I was surprised to be able to get a nearly tourist free photo of Ken and Dee in the Hall of Mirrors, a fluke of nature no doubt.  It wasn’t until we left the gardens and headed towards the Grand Trianon that the sardine feeling left.  I don’t think we ever reached the Queen’s Village before — at least I don’t remember it.

nn

   Here's lookin' at you, kid

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.