Existing Member?

Tracy's Journey

Visiting Thoa’s Family

VIETNAM | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [338]

Thoa & her parents

Thoa & her parents

This past weekend Thoa invited me to go with her to visit her parents that live about 3 hours away, close to the beach. When we got to the bus, I thought we got there just in time to get the last two seats. But little did I know, how many people can fit on a bus! We kept picking people up along the road and just kept squeezing them in. In the end, they could not open & close the door anymore, so they just left it open. For three hours, we were unable to move, not even an inch. At least, I was lucky enough to have a seat with a back on it. But poor Thoa, who was sitting next to me, had no room at all and needed to lean on me for support.

Her parents have a very nice home surrounded by a garden and fruit trees. They were very nice and fed me well. Saturday night, we went to a Catholic mass. The singing was very beautiful. And I didn’t even notice until communion time that the women were sitting on one side of the church and the men on the other side.  During the call and response times of the mass, I found myself trying to respond along with everyone else but then realizing I didn’t know what to say.  There were quite a few older people there and as I went to communion I was really overcome with emotion thinking about the family and friends that they probably lost in the war and all the suffering they endured. It didn’t help that they were singing an emotional song. Also I have been reading a book written by a Vietnamese woman about her journey from war to peace. I didn’t realize before I came the effect it would have on me.  In the evenings, we went to visit her uncle and aunt. One night we sang karaoke. I thought I was going to luck out and not be forced to sing since it would be in Vietnamese, but lucky me they had songs in English also. The Vietnamese take karaoke very serious. It seems like a karaoke machine is a household item and there are karaoke bars all over the place.  The next night they taught me how to play a Vietnamese card game.

Sunday, we jumped on the motorbike and headed for the beach (South China Sea) to meet up with Thoa’s friends. I am now becoming an expert passenger, carrying bags full of fruit in one hand and holding on with the other. No I guess I can’t say expert because I still feel the need to hold on with at least one hand. As we arrived, the fishermen were coming in with their catch. The shrimp were huge! We stood and watched as they pulled the shrimp and squid out of their nets. It was a nice day.  Not to warm and not to cool – just right.  The waves were pretty big and we were worn out after being in the water for about 45 minutes. Then we sat around, relaxed, and grilled our lunch straight from the ocean. They bought bags of fresh squid and shrimp and also some freshly boiled crabs.  At first, I wondered how I was going to eat some of it. But once it was cooked, I was ok. I believe that was the freshest seafood I have ever eaten!

It was a really nice weekend. And it was so nice to be out of the busy city in a quiet little town where there are no tourists. I feel really lucky to have the opportunity to experience part of Vietnam thru a local’s way of life rather than just on the tourist track. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.