Existing Member?

Trude's Travel Tales

Happy New Year!

AUSTRIA | Monday, 4 January 2010 | Views [521] | Comments [2]

I’m not sure exactly where 2009 went in such a hurry….but seeing as it included coming back from Kenya, my trip to Samoa, a hell of a lot of stressful work, and then leaving to go to Austria – that might be why it seemed to go by so fast!

Christmas here was quiet but nice, on Christmas Eve we had dinner here with Josef’s grandmother and great aunt, Christmas Day we had dinner with Josef’s brother and his girlfriend, and then on Boxing Day all of us went out to lunch.  Oh and of course just before Christmas we had to go to Vienna so Josef could have the surgery on his tooth – it swelled up quite a bit the day after though, which of course happened to be Christmas Eve!  I made a lot of soup…

Just trying to think of what else has happened – there’s been one or two drunken nights in Vienna….one that I forgot to mention in my last journal was we went to see a two-man band play at this pub in Vienna – which was quite odd for me because they were just singing these funny little songs in German….but after many beers were had with Josef and  the boys we were with, I don’t remember an awful lot except for lots of laughs!  We had another night out in Vienna on Tuesday after we went to see Avatar in 3D (awesome movie, the picture was incredible) which started off with a few beers, then meeting up with Josef’s uni friends and moving on to wine, then back to beer, then coke and rum, and then a tequila shot!  I met those two guys once before in Vienna and had fun, I think it was the first night since I got to Austria that I had an entire night of English conversation over beers and it was great.  I miss English!

The public transport in Vienna always amazes me – it’s so huge that there are trams, trains and buses everywhere……..if you just miss one tram, another one comes by literally in a few minutes, and every time we have gotten on the train, it arrives at the exact minute it’s supposed to.  You buy either single tickets or a 24/48 hour pass (which is what we usually get) and you frank it once you get on the tram, and keep it with you in case you get checked, which we never have.  We’ve ridden the trams once or twice without a pass – I’ve never seen anyone get checked and some people ride them every day for years and only get busted once or twice…makes you wonder how effective the system is that they have there!

New Years was fun, from what I remember – we had a combined 30th birthday/new years’ party, and although I don’t think I drank that much, I don’t remember anything after being outside at 12….apparently we went back inside for awhile and then we went outside and I was sick….but that’s the extent of my memory!  We’ve got another birthday thing on Tuesday night, so I might have to slow down for that one!

We’re off to Barcelona (Spain) for a couple of days from the 8th to the 13th January, so that will be cool – and we’ve now decided that we’re going to go to South East Asia instead of Central America, and at this point looks like we’ll be leaving around the 20th or so and will head to Cambodia or Laos.  Many adventures ahead!

I’ve uploaded some photos to Facebook, but for those without FB you can go to this link (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=135792&id=742706461&l=b937687e28) to look at them.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!  Lots of love, Trude xxx

Comments

1

Hi Trude! It just amazes me at how much fun you are having, and the places you have visited along with the different cultures. The photos look so amazing. So pleased you got to speak English as well! Keep Partying! You rock! Happy New Year. Can't wait to hear what Spain is like. Love Ruth xxx

  Ruth Jones Jan 5, 2010 1:40 PM

2

Hey Trude!

It looks like you have been enjoying yourself & I hope Spain is as amazing as all your other destinations have been!
The pics were awesome! Thanks for the link.

Keep on trekkin'

Jus XX

  Justine Jan 5, 2010 3:31 PM

About trudygeard


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.