Existing Member?

Trude's Travel Tales

A Quick Trip To Barcelona :)

SPAIN | Friday, 15 January 2010 | Views [703] | Comments [3]

Back in Austria now, but I have to title this one from Spain so it comes up on my ‚countries visited‘ list!  We left Vienna on Friday afternoon, and left behind a shitload of snow – at the airport, we were sitting on the plane and had to wait while they sprayed some sort of foamy stuff over the wings….we assumed it was to defrost them or something…….so that was something different!  The flight is about 2 hours 15 mins from Vienna, so about half an hour longer than from Hobart to Sydney.  Friday night was quiet – we were exhausted by the time we got to the hotel, which was amazing – soooo nice and stylish….which was a relief because I picked it!

Saturday we walked down to the harbor and wandered through the Las Ramblas area……there are main streets but there are a lot of cool tiny little side streets, with small specialty shops or apartments – they are quiet and the buildings are so old, it was nice just to walk around and take it all in.  We went back to the hotel for a little while before going out for dinner and some beers – somehow (Josef’s fault) we ended up at a bar entitled ‘gay friendly’ in our guidebook, and I can’t say the male waiters were very friendly…people in a group of the same sex seemed to get a lot more attention!  And just as we had gotten off the subway (which was always our way of getting around) into town for dinner, we came across some sort of street parade, with people playing instruments and BIG giant people (I forget how they do it, but the characters look about 4 metres high)….not sure exactly what it was for, but we followed it for a little while!

Sunday we went to a basketball game – Barcelona playing another team, they won by around 35 points and were really impressive…..wasn’t sure whether I would like it or not but I had a great time and their skills were amazing.  After that we had quite a walk up sooooo many steps to one of the castles, and then further up the hill from there we saw the Olympic stadium from the 1992 Barcelona games, so that was pretty cool.  More walking around Barcelona before going back to the hotel and then out to dinner, where I finally found what would be my favourite Asian restaurant in Spain – Wok to Walk…..you actually get to see them throw all the stuff in the wok and add the sauces, etc….it was yummy!

Monday was another big walking day, we headed to Parc Güell and did a lot of wandering there, before heading back to town in the afternoon and walking around down there, going to an art museum (I don’t think I will ever learn to appreciate art), then back to the hotel and back out again to my wok restaurant where I found my absolute favourite – rice with veggies mixed together with a really hot Asian sauce………DELICIOUS!  I would also end up getting that on Tuesday as well, for one last time!  Tuesday we mainly spent shopping, walking around one of the big shopping centres before heading back to Las Ramblas and wandering the shops on the streets before walking to the beach.  We had a bit of a rest at the hotel before going out – to the Wok place of course, and then to a bar where I had the yummiest cocktails…….to another bar after that and then to one more after we took the subway to the stop near the hotel…..both of us were relatively drunk by the time we got back to the hotel!

In short, Spain was a really cool place to visit – it was awesome just to wander around and take in the sights……we walked for hours every day (god, my feet were killing me!) and after four days, I feel like we pretty much saw most of what Barcelona had to offer.  The weather was cold but bearable (about 8 degrees, warmer than Austria’s -2!), it would be even better in the summertime but then again, there would be so many more people around so I’m not too sure!  As far as food and drinks go, it was quite a bit cheaper than Vienna, which was a nice surprise!  It had a more relaxed vibe than Vienna but it was dirtier, sometimes just walking in the street you could suddenly smell a sewage smell from a nearby drain, which wasn’t the most pleasant thing, and there was quite a bit of graffiti around, which you don’t really see in Vienna.  It was a great trip though, and it was interesting for me to see another European city while I’m here and to compare the differences.  The end of our flight back to Vienna was absolutely breathtaking – we were flying over massive snow covered mountains  that were actually above the clouds…..so you could see the top of the mountains (against bright blue sky) and then the clouds below….it was unreal.

Photos for this one - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=139586&id=742706461&l=b4f1be8850

Miss you guys xx

Comments

1

Hi Trude
Photos amazing, your IT skills impressive and your adventures sound fantastic! Enjoy and stay safe.

Love Dad & Trish.

  Dad & Trish Jan 17, 2010 8:28 PM

2

Hey Trude!

Your visit to Barcelona sounded amazing & the photos are awesome.
Enjoy your next destination & safe & happy travelling.

XX

  Justine Jan 18, 2010 12:33 PM

3

Hi Trude! Barcelone sounds like a great place. Some gossip from work (not sure if you know) David Sikk left on Friday to go to another law firm. Miss you! Take care, happy travels.

  Ruth Jones Jan 23, 2010 9:09 PM

About trudygeard


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.