Existing Member?

Trude's Travel Tales

Away For Christmas.....Again! ;)

AUSTRIA | Tuesday, 22 December 2009 | Views [798] | Comments [4]

I really should stop leaving it so long between entries but time keeps getting away from me!

Hmmmm, now to catch up……the weekend after I last wrote, Josef was at a basketball game so I decided to go for a wander to the shop by myself to get some absolute essentials – an apple, cotton buds, rice crackers and lollies :) !  Snow was lightly falling and it was so nice just to walk in it for a little while, even though by the time I came out of the shop it was dark (which happens by about 4:30pm!).  And I did ok, though I didn’t know I was supposed to weigh the apple and get a price sticker for it, so I got to the checkout and the lady handed it back to me and shot off something in German – of course I had no idea what she was saying.  I told her I didn’t understand, so she took it and put a sticker on it herself – opps! 

One day last week we went for a hike up to the ruins of an old castle, Scharfeneck.  It’s only a short drive (walkable distance) from Josef’s parents’ house, and takes about half an hour to walk up there….which is a bit creepy, it’s kind of right into the woods through a path, so all you can see on either side are tall thin trees, with all the leaves on the ground.  We climbed up to the top of some of the ruins and the view was incredible – you could see so much in every direction, and probably even more if it had of been a clearer day and not quite so foggy.

I think it was Wednesday morning when I looked out the window and there was snow EVERYWHERE, I was so excited!  I remember Sunday had already been cold, because we were standing around at the local Christmas market and it was freaking freezing.  It was soooo pretty, snow was covering everything and was still lightly falling…it’s really cool how everything seems to be much more quiet when it snows – though I guess it actually is because the snow soaks up some of the noise.  Not that there is a lot of that in tiny Mannersdorf!

On Friday we went on a road trip to Salzburg – about 400km and a 4 hour trip with a stop for lunch imbetween.  Much different a drive than to home……you just basically keep driving on a big freeway – 3 lanes in each direction for the most part, and travelling at about 125km or so (much faster than home!).  There was a lot of snow around but the main roads were pretty clear.  Salzburg was awesome – such an old town and lots of interesting things to see.  We walked up (and up, and up) to the entrance of an old castle there and looked around one of the churches – there is no way I can explain what the inside of the old churches look like here, except to say that they are unreal.  Absolutely beautiful, but SO excessive.  Lots of wandering around Salzburg, except it was freezing (about -6 degrees) and by the night time we were pretty tired so just went somewhere close by for dinner.  The next day I wasn’t feeling too well so we left at around lunchtime, except it had been snowing even more and the roads were really icy and in places there had been so much snow that you couldn’t see the lines any more, especially as it started to get dark….and on a 3 way highway that was pretty scary!  There seemed to be an accident up in front of us at one point, so we got off the highway and went through back roads for awhile and came out in front of it - Josef did a great job of driving through it all, I think it took us almost 6 hours to get home because everything was so much slower.

Yesterday (and still today for that matter!) there was still a bunch of snow around – I think I stepped out and it went halfway up to my knee from where the wind had blew it into a mini hill outside our door – the rest of it was probably about 6cm deep or so.  A group of us drove and then walked through the woods to the local ski hill (I look SO sexual in Josef’s brother’s ski pants……not….!) – except we couldn’t slay down it because we didn’t have a sledge!  Another time!  Except I think now we are supposed to get out of the minuses by Christmas time – no white Christmas for me – but I’m hoping maybe by New Years we might get some more.  It’s fun, but dressing is so hard – tights, jeans, and another pair of trousers plus 2-3 jumpers and a big jacket STILL doesn’t seem keep you warm! 

I think I’m finally caught up for now – I have some photos but can’t upload them yet because I forgot my camera cord.  But it’s on its way – thanks mum! – so I should be able to post some to Facebook soon.  For you guys without Facebook, I can post the link so you can still look at them.  And until next time, I’m happy Christmassing through my journal again…..for the second year in a row…..mum has booked me in advance to be at home next Christmas!  So HAPPY CHRISTMAS everyone!  xoxoxoxoxoxox

Comments

1

Good work Geard!
Hope you have a great Chrissy (although it is a day early)
talk to you soon! let us know when your surprise/s arrive hehe
xxx

  Hills Dec 22, 2009 11:22 AM

2

Hey Trude!
Everything sounds really awsome over there, cant wait to see the pics.
Take care & I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
XX

  Justine, Joe, Lea & John Dec 22, 2009 5:47 PM

3

Hi Trude. It sounds like you are having yet another wonderful adventure. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year (although Christmas has probably been and gone now - its Boxing Day here and its the first time we've had a spare minute to try and access your travel blog! Stay safe and well and we will keep up with your adventures now we are off work for a few days! ENJOY.
Love Dad & Trish.

  Dad & Trish Dec 26, 2009 2:53 PM

4

Hi Trude! Finally have a chance to sit down and catch up on your travel diary! Happy New Year to you. You are certainly having the best time. Miss you.

  Ruth Jones Jan 2, 2010 3:22 PM

About trudygeard


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.