Existing Member?

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 8 December 2012 | Views [349]

Well 7 weeks in the UK has flown by and it’s time for me to begin the last leg of my journey and head to Africa where some much longed for sun will welcome me!

 

Despite the cold weather and trying to acclimatise to the lack of sun I couldn’t have asked for a better 7 weeks in the UK.

 

Afternoon tea at the fancy Mayfair Hotel, a night at the West End to see the theatre production Cabaret, regular trips into London to see Alice (including a Jamie Oliver cooking class), a trip to Budapest with Sade and a booty shaking Nigerian wedding!

 

I joined the family at Uncle Ade’s nieces wedding where I got to view the beautiful and colourful dresses and hats, enjoy the delicious food and get up and shake my booty ass with Uncle Ade while getting money placed on me! Apparently it’s not just a tradition to give the bride and groom money during the money dance but everyone as a sign of appreciation for coming to the wedding. Had I known that earlier I would have gotten up and danced my booty off earlier!

 

A quick trip to Budapest with Sade was a nice way to spend part of my last week here. Although it was absolutely freezing, the cold European weather does give off more of a Christmas feel. Ice-skating on the lake, visiting the Christmas markets, high tea in a beautiful top floor restaurant of a bookshop while a man played the piano, a visit to the thermal spa’s and a river cruise took up our days.

 

The novelty of the trip for me was of course when it started to snow and it actually settled! I had my first snowball fight although the fun wore off quickly because it was just so cold! On my return to Luton I was even more surprised to find the roads icy and a layer of snow in the backyard.

 

That pretty much sums up my last couple of weeks in the UK and as I’m preparing for my flight tomorrow to take me to sunny Africa where my camping challenge will begin I’m sad to say goodbye to my family, not knowing when I will see them again. I have mixed emotions but I am looking forward to getting on the move again and for whatever life has in store for me back home in Australia.  

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.